New apple cider at Walmart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joentuff

Reaction score
has anyone seen the new apple cider at walmar, it comes in gallon plastic containers, has a red label? The ones I saw are around $4.97 a gallon, and had sediment in the bottoms, looks like it would be good stuff

the brand is musselmans, it is good stuff. i work at a coffee shop & we use it for steamed cider.

i use it to make apfelwein, 3 gallons of the musselmans with 2 gallons of the cheap stuff for a 5 gallon batch. it gives it a much darker color than using just apple juice & i think the apple flavor comes through better.

I wish they had that at Walmarts here... I can only get it that cheap if I buy it in 2 liter cans, which results in a really awful aluminum foil sort of taste in the final product.

I saw it yesterday!!!! Oh so mad they didn't have it 3 weeks ago when I brewed my graffs! Looks like I'll just have to brew another batch soon.

Know where else you can get good juice for $5/gal or less this time o' year?

Apple orchards!

OK - maybe not in Dallas and deep South - just about everywhere else tho

They just started carrying it here--I just bought a gallon and I'm going to make a holiday cider with some brown sugar and spices. It was only $3.98 for a gallon but that may have been a promotional price.

it's usually about 3.97 a gal. however, dont expect it to taste like actual fresh pressed cider from the orchard.

I speak from experience! they call it cider, but it tastes just like cloudy apple juice from concentrate. not a bad deal for $4 a gallon, but for me it produced a product almost identicle to motts or tree top. (only took longer to clear.)

sorry to be a buzzkill, but if you are looking for real apple cider, keep looking.

I wouldn't expect it to be nearly as good as fresh pressed, but hopefully it's better than the typical store brand. You're right about being nearly identical to Mott's, etc. I have a gallon of Musselman's sitting next to an empty Tree Top jug--same identical jugs and almost the same labels. Have to wonder if they're not produced in the same plant.

Know where else you can get good juice for $5/gal or less this time o' year?

Apple orchards!

OK - maybe not in Dallas and deep South - just about everywhere else tho

The orchards around me are producing cider now. $8.50/gallon.
And so far all have contained potassium sorbate.

I'll stick with the mass-market juice at that price.

Wow, you need to find some better orchards. I'm paying a third of that price (2.85/gal for 30 gal min, my containers) for fresh juice, no preservatives. I'd be willing to be that they dont have their own press, dont sell to commercial accounts and mainly just sell to tourists (there are a few places like that around here too - they charge about 7/gal for less quality juice)

I have a gallon of Musselman's sitting next to an empty Tree Top jug--same identical jugs and almost the same labels. Have to wonder if they're not produced in the same plant.

Except that Tree Top is from Concentrate from S. America, and the Musselman's is not from concentrate and uses US apples...

I like the Musselmans for experiments because it is consistent, isnt from concentrate, and is overall pretty decent. probably the best commercial juice.

the brand is musselmans, it is good stuff. i work at a coffee shop & we use it for steamed cider.

i use it to make apfelwein, 3 gallons of the musselmans with 2 gallons of the cheap stuff for a 5 gallon batch. it gives it a much darker color than using just apple juice & i think the apple flavor comes through better.

Good idea, I just may have to try that.

If you are talking about musselmans then its good , but the fresher stuff Ive seen here...kept in or near the produce dept. ....cant remember the name, but it has preservatives added and wont be good. Check the label before you buy.

They just started carrying it here.
I saw a little sodium, but no potassium. Just to give it a try since the price was so right I picked up 5 gallons.
Yesterday I added 3.5 lbs of honey and a massive pitch of US-05 just to be safe. It's fermenting so I'm hoping it will ferment out and not be too sweet.

I just picked up 6 gals of Old Orchard Apple Juice from Fareway for $2.99/gallon. :rockin:

I bottled a batch of English Cider in wine bottles over the weekend @ 15.619% ABV!!! :drunk:

EDITED: Sorry, by I was looking at another batch of cider when I quoted the 15.75% ABV. This one is 15.619% ABV.

I just picked up 6 gals of Old Orchard Apple Juice from Fareway for $2.99/gallon. :rockin:

I bottled a batch of English Cider in wine bottles over the weekend @ 15.75% ABV!!! :drunk:

wow what was the recipe for that batch.....and can you drink it like a cider or do you make a face after every sip like when drinking mad elf?

Back