New and Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbower

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a little while, is there any suggestions on a wine fermenting kit to purchase. I want something that will suit me for my first batch of strawberry wine. Any good deals out there online to get a kit?

Glad you joined HBT!

It's good to find a local wine shop. If there is not one near by you can get what you need from:

www.northernbrewer.com/
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/

I'm sure people that live close to you would have other suggestions!

The starter kits are a good option. You won't need a corker for a few months.
Just start with a bucket (primary) and then a glass carboy (secondary).

Again, good to have you here!

For basic winemaking equipment and supplies I think it's good to buy from and establish a relationship with a local homebrew/winemaking store because they can be a very valuable resource for advice. Their prices will be close to the online sellers but you'll avoid shipping.

In addition, look to craigslist in the cities around you for equipment. Some people will sell their barely used winemaking kits for pennies on the dollar. Search often for wine, winemaking, carboy, fermenter, press, etc. There are some great deals out there but make sure you know what items cost new.

Thanks, guys. I will begin looking unfortunatly there are not any vendors close to my area. So I will look at Craigslist, and look online.

I would try local breweries. If they are unable to sell supplies they may be able to point you in the right direction. Also the sites listed here are great, and I completely recommend getting a starter kit.

You pretty much just need a bucket and carboy as listed. Build a reputation and ask as many quests as possible at your local supplier (if you have one), and if that fails don't hesitate to search online for information.

In my experience there is no substitute from professional in person advice, but there are also a great deal of online resources that can help cover the legal and technical conveners you may have.

The main goal is to have fun and learn from your experience.

Cheers!

Back