Quantcast

New AG Setup, Need Suggestions

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rickk

Reaction score
Setting up an AG system. I've decided on batch sparging. My aim is simplicity, minimal setup time, and minimal cost without sacrificing robustness. One pump and one burner to keep costs/equipment to a minimum. I want the pump for wort chilling since I'm in Phoenix, Arizona (The HLT will serve as a CLT during chilling).

Materials I already have:
Kettle: converted keg w/ false bottom, ball valve
MT: converted keg w/ false bottom, ball valve
HLT: converted keg w/ ball valve
Burner: 1x Bayou Classic (with stand)
Chiller: usual copper immersion type

Here is the simplest plan I've come up with:
* Bolt three rigid legs onto each keg so they stand independently (four legs tend to cause wobble)
* Come up with a clever idea on how to easily mount the burner to the bottom of the kegs so I can swap with ease
* Purchase a pump that can handle 30-170F for transferring/chiller circulation

I like this setup because there is no bulky stand; the kegs are stackable. I should have all the control I need for batch sparging.

Specific questions:
* Suggestions on material for the legs. Metal stock is generally expensive. Bed frames are 5$ on craigslist, but I'm not sure that they are sturdy enough, and the L shape is awkward.
* Suggestions on pumps in my temperature range? I'm not too keen on the 130$ March pump. Why does anyone need to move 220F wort? Anyone try the "pony pump" (50$) from Northern Tool?
* Any ideas on how to mount burner so it is swappable?

I'm not fixed on my plan. I'd like to hear from anyone who has a different plan that meets my needs.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

AGBrewer

Reaction score
Good to see people building their own rigs
A possibility for the leg material would be unistrut.http://www.unistrut.com/about/index.php?P=po_mf It is a little expensive but is very rigid and would serve you well when mounting your burners.
I can't imagine using anytihing but my march pump. I am set up to do either counterflow chilling or recirculating immersion chilling and both require having a pump that will move 212degree wort. Otaher than that I have no idea about another pump
Again the unistrut would make swapping your burner a breeze. I am envisioning two pieces of channel mounted horizontally under your kegs that the outer rim of your burner would fit into. Also you may consider putting some type of handle on your burner to aid in moving. But just to let you know, alot of times I find a need to heat two vessels at once.
Unistrut is available at most electrical and plumbing supply store.

OP
R

rickk

Reaction score
Yeah, I've considered unistrut, but it can be quite expensive. I'd need 27'. I'm certainly keeping an eye open for it in craigslist, etc.

I'm not interested in a CFC since that would require another pump, so I will never move a liquid in excess of 170F.