New AG Brewer - Question on Flaked Wheat Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPNewBrew

Reaction score
Hi All! After several extract batches, and getting bored of its effect on my brew color and taste, I have decided to make the jump to All Grain. I'm going to start with 2.5 gal recipes for two reasons; first my only boiling vessel is a 4.4 gallon Gigawert electric brewpot, and second, I thought I would break myself in on some smaller batches before I jump to a bigger system to do 5 gal. For the same reason I am going to AG instead of BIAB, as my Gigawort kettle isn't big enough for even a 2.5 gallon batch, by my calcs.

Anyway, to my question - I was planning to start my AG journey making a Belgian Wit. The grain bill is 50% Pilsner and 50% Briess wheat flake. My question is about "single infusion" mashing the wheat flake along with the Pilsner. From the advanced reading I've done on AG brewing, some reliable authors say you can have a problem mashing/lautering with unmalted wheat when it is more than 10-15% of the grain bill, suggesting an adjunct mashing procedure or a multi-step infusion mash including a protein rest. Other reliable authors say that isn't a problem, that with the new flaked grains, the enzymes in the Pilsen malt will more than easily take care of the wheat. I guess another alternative would be partial mashing the Pilsen and combining with wheat extract, but I don't think that's a great idea or in the direction I'm trying to go.

What say you, the noble practitioners of this group?

Gary

The Pilsner malt will convert the flaked wheat alright. But the mash may be sticky, gummy, and hard to lauter, due to the high flaked wheat content.

Adding 1/4 to 1/2 pound of rice hulls to the mash should fix that. Start by adding 1/4 pound in the mash at the beginning. A very good stirring at the end of the mash will also help getting it more fluid.

If it still doesn't run off (or very slowly, trickle) during lautering, stir in another 1/4 pound. Stir well, it helps a lot.

What kind of mash vessel are you using? Your kettle?

What kind of mash vessel are you using? Your kettle?

Thanks for the quick reply - yes, was planning on having the rice hulls on hand to use. Not using my kettle for mash/Lauter - I have a 5 gal Igloo round cooler with a false bottom that I plan on using as combined Mash/Lauter (Combi-Tun?)

Will use my Gigawort brew kettle initially as my strike water liquor tank, connected to drain into the Mash tun. After the mash, I'll start the manual recirculate (vorlauf?) and at the same time heat my sparge water in the brew kettle. After it's heated to sparge temp (or a little higher), I'll transfer the sparge water to an old brew pot I have. Then I'll reposition the Gigawort as a brew kettle and drain the "1st Wort" into it. Then I'll "batch sparge" the combi-tun from the old brew kettle, and after time to settle, I'll recirc, reconnect my drain hose, and dump the second wort into the brew kettle. Hopefully that all works as I've dreamed it up!

Sounds like a well thought-out plan!

When mashing in, aim for a water : grain ratio of 1.25-1.50. At 1.50 you'd use about half of your total water in the mash, leaving the rest for sparging. It's nice to stir that way, it's not too thick. As long as it all fits in your cooler and you can still stir, that is.
You could split your sparge, doing 2 batch sparges with half the water each. It helps a bit with efficiency.

If you happen to lauter more wort than fits in our kettle, put some of your last runnings in a separate pot and boil it for 15' on the stove or so, add to your kettle at the end. Or boil it down more if you want.

A combined Mash/Lauter Tun is called an MLT. That's what most small batch AG homebrewers have/use who do not BIAB.

What yeast are you using?

First off, I am a big fan of 2.5 gal all grain batches, and think they should be the standard for new all grain brewers. I brew a mix of 2.5 gal batches (stove top BIAB). Brewing inside on my stove in a 5 gal pot is a much easier brew day than a 5 gal on my patio, and it is a great way to try out new recipes or experiment with ingredients or techniques.

Second, have you considered using Malted Wheat? Honestly, I have not figured out the different contributions between flaked and malted, but Malted Wheat has enzymes to support conversion. I have been using more Malted Wheat than Flaked Wheat lately.

A combined Mash/Lauter Tun is called an MLT. That's what most small batch AG homebrewers have/use who do not BIAB.

What yeast are you using?

Thanks for the advice Island Lizard! I plan on using White Labs Belgian Ale Yeast #WPL400. Plan on brewing right after the 4th, so I’ll run up to my local Houston Brew supply and pick up some. Not planning on a starter; just going to use the entire package on the 2.5 gal batch.

First off, I am a big fan of 2.5 gal all grain batches, and think they should be the standard for new all grain brewers. I brew a mix of 2.5 gal batches (stove top BIAB). Brewing inside on my stove in a 5 gal pot is a much easier brew day than a 5 gal on my patio, and it is a great way to try out new recipes or experiment with ingredients or techniques.

Second, have you considered using Malted Wheat? Honestly, I have not figured out the different contributions between flaked and malted, but Malted Wheat has enzymes to support conversion. I have been using more Malted Wheat than Flaked Wheat lately.

Cascades Brewer - I have two reasons why I don’t brew in the house - the wife and the feeble boil I get out of my gas range. I just open up my garage door and brew there. But you have given me something to think about - I have a 5 gal brew kettle but never considered BIAB because I thought I would need more like an 8 gal kettle to accomplish. Plus I don’t have a propane burner.

I never gave malted wheat too much consideration. One of the things I wanted to get away from with extract was the thin Brews I was making with little mouthfeel and creaminess, and I thought that flaked wheat (and maybe some flaked oats) would give my beer some body. But I will give that some thought - Thanks!

I have a 5 gal brew kettle but never considered BIAB because I thought I would need more like an 8 gal kettle to accomplish.

To clarify, I am doing 2.5 gal BIAB in my 5 gal kettle (2.6 to 2.7 gals in the fermenter). That is about the right size for full volume mashes. That might be the thing that I love the most about BIAB...how the exact same process that I use for 5 gal batches translates to 2 gal or 2.5 gal batches. My gas stove will bring the ~4 gals of mash water up to temp just fine, and will boil ~3.5 gals fine as well (with about a 0.8 gal per hour boil off rate). I use a 10 gal pot and a propane burner for my 5 gal batches (5.5 gals into fermenter).

FWIW, Flaked Wheat imparts a more distinct wheat flavor than a more standard Wheat Malt. That being said, it's use is much more functional in lower ABV styles such as Witbier (Belgian or German).

Having worked at a Belgian Style Brewery for a short while, I don't recall any of our beers using Flaked over Malted so there's that to consider.

Thanks for the advice Island Lizard! I plan on using White Labs Belgian Ale Yeast #WPL400. Plan on brewing right after the 4th, so I’ll run up to my local Houston Brew supply and pick up some. Not planning on a starter; just going to use the entire package on the 2.5 gal batch.
I know it's only half a batch. But IMO, you should always make a starter from liquid yeast, at least a 1 liter vitality starter. How else would you know it's viable (enough)?
It also allows you to overbuild the starter and save some out (yeast ranching) for a next starter/brew.

Back