Neverending fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed up the following batch, and the airlock has been bubbling ever since. It's been in secondary since 10/5. The airlock bubbles once every five minutes or so. Should I let it keep going? Thanks!

5.6 lbs. Munton's plain light DME
1 lb. Breiss Golden light DME
2.5 oz. chocolate malt
2.5 oz. roasted barley
5 HBU Styrian Goldings (boiling)
5 HBU Styrian Goldings (flavor)
.25 oz. Cascade (aroma)
.25 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs WLP013 London ale yeast

Add grains to 2.5 gallons 150 degree water. Hold for 30 minutes. Add DME and boiling hops, boil for 45 min. Add flavor hops and Irish moss, boil for 15 min. Turn off heat, add aroma hops and steep for 3 min. Add to cold water in fermenter to make 5 gallons. Yeast pitched at 70 degrees.

Brewed on 10/1/08
Racked to secondary on 10/5/08

No, I didn't take readings. I racked it when the krausen dropped, which is my usual practice. I seem to remember reading that I could take a reading now, and if it doesn't change in 24 hours it's safe to bottle- but it's been years since I've brewed and I don't remember if that's true or not.

No, I didn't take readings. I racked it when the krausen dropped, which is my usual practice. I seem to remember reading that I could take a reading now, and if it doesn't change in 24 hours it's safe to bottle- but it's been years since I've brewed and I don't remember if that's true or not.

I think the safest way is to take a reading now, and again in three days, and if it hasn't changed, it's ready to bottle.
I'm betting it's done.

Back