Never under any circumstances should you assume...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vasie

Reaction score
Never under any circumstances should you assume that the large o-ring washer that seals the lid is too small to slip off the lid. When I was kegging up some of Jamil's American Brown--damn, that stuff is going to be tasty, I had inserted the lid and was busy swapping the pin locks (ooops) when the rubber o-ring came unseated. I thought, well, no big deal, its just dangling there but that thing surely cant come off. I dont' know what I was thinking and suppose those were my famous last words. Of course, that was exactly what it did.

I don't know how the heck one would go about fishing one of those out of a full keg. I mean, who has a 2 1/2 hook laying around? Anyway, thankfully I had just finished the previous keg earlier today. The keg was still pressurized shut so I assume that the seal was in a pretty sanitary state so I used it. The other fully-lubed ( food grade petroleum lube that I bought at my lhbs ) is now swimming with the drunk fishies at the bottom of my keg.

And to boot, during all the messing around with the washers, I accidently sat on my still-opened tube of lube and shot a glob of it on my concrete basment floor. Lovely. Further, when cleaning everything up, I couldn't find the lid to lube tube and was absolutley convinced that it had somehow slipped into my now sealed keg. Thanks to God's good graces, I was not thaaat clumsy and found it that just rolled away.

Anyone else enjoyed such a delightful keg-day experience?

vasie said:
Anyone else enjoyed such a delightful keg-day experience?

Try switching the gas and liquid posts (when you know better), wrangling th QD's on only to have to cut them off with a hacksaw.

I feel your pain.

Back