Never Talk To A Cop...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I just spent about 45 minutes watching these. Pretty much just reiterated what I already knew. Never, ever, ever, ever talk to the police. You are legally required to provide identification, and nothing else.

Here's a crazy idea: Never do anything that will draw a cop's attention. Never hang out with people who draw cops' attention. Never go to places that require a cop's attention.

Seriously, my interaction with the police took a serious decrease in frequency when I stopped hanging out with stupid *****ebags who had to act ****ed up every 10 seconds they were in public.

Here's a crazy idea: Never do anything that will draw a cop's attention. Never hang out with people who draw cops' attention. Never go to places that require a cop's attention.

Seriously, my interaction with the police took a serious decrease in frequency when I stopped hanging out with stupid *****ebags who had to act ****ed up every 10 seconds they were in public.

Sadly, doesn't always work.

Sometimes, especially in smaller towns or close communities, you can have real problems with even just 1 or 2 cops that are just ********.

Also, this has NOTHING to do with not going wrong things, but even if you have NEVER broken a single law in your life you should NEVER give up your rights. If everyone does that, then we don't live in the USofA any longer.

Yeah! Never dress in any manner that might get you confused with someone else. Never be an African American male wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans.

Seriously, you don't have to do anything to have a police officer come up and ask you questions. Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hell, I've been pulled over because my car "matched the description of a stolen vehicle." Yeah, I'm sure I'm the only one on the road with a dark colored 4-door SUV.

try pleading the fifth to a new orleans police officer... after a few sprays of mace, a couple of whacks with a billy club and a german shepherd gnawing on ur arm and a cop that's probably more ghetto than most of the thugs in the city is constantly screeming in ur ear "OH YOU A SMART MUTHA F'ER HUH, U A LAWYER OR SOMTHIN HUH" you'll wish u would've said something... now you're renderd with a jaw wired shut and a swollen rectum. round here N.O.P.D. stands for "not our problem dood"

try pleading the fifth to a new orleans police officer... after a few sprays of mace, a couple of whacks with a billy club and a german shepherd gnawing on ur arm and a cop that's probably more ghetto than most of the thugs in the city is constantly screeming in ur ear "OH YOU A SMART MUTHA F'ER HUH, U A LAWYER OR SOMTHIN HUH" you'll wish u would've said something... now you're renderd with a jaw wired shut and a swollen rectum. round here N.O.P.D. stands for "not our problem dood"

Hey man, I grew up in NYC. Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell, Abner Louima... trust me, I know that come cities have ****ty cops that do horrible things. But you can't give in because of that.

Then you get a lawyer, contact the ACLU, sue the hell out of the police department, and you're set for life. Honestly though, I really doubt that this is an accurate representation of New Orleans police. Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

i'm 29... and u could probably find plenty of records of cases against the nopd that were thrown out because of "lack of evidence" i think we're still known as having the most corrupt city officials in the nation (probably just beating NY along with our potholes)
i have a friend that's an NOLA officer and he's not quite what you would call an upstanding citizen... they really will just hire anybody off the street. just about a month ago i witnessed a guy getting tazzed and the dogs were sickd on him and i don't thing they were even gonna let him talk. sometimes ur guilty until proven innocent. there are a few good cops here, but i promise, the majority are very crooked people. and extremely racist. i' have some family from around south dakota and minnessota that wouldn't really believe it to be true either. but the dirty south is a FAR cry from beautifull countryside of south dakota. i've been pulled over here and my car was completely ransacked because i was a "suspicious looking driver in the wrong neighborhood" i talked to my lawyer and all he could tell me is i should be glad i'm not in the mississippi river.

i'm 29... and u could probably find plenty of records of cases against the nopd that were thrown out because of "lack of evidence" i think we're still known as having the most corrupt city officials in the nation (probably just beating NY along with our potholes)
i have a friend that's an NOLA officer and he's not quite what you would call an upstanding citizen... they really will just hire anybody off the street. just about a month ago i witnessed a guy getting tazzed and the dogs were sickd on him and i don't thing they were even gonna let him talk. sometimes ur guilty until proven innocent. there are a few good cops here, but i promise, the majority are very crooked people. and extremely racist. i' have some family from around south dakota and minnessota that wouldn't really believe it to be true either. but the dirty south is a FAR cry from beautifull countryside of south dakota.

I live in South Dakota. I didn't grow up here. I've been across the world, and I've never seen anything like that, including my time spent in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, California and Texas.

sorry, i didn't realize i was among english teachers. didn't wanna ruffle any feathers man, just venting my hatred for the corrupt city that i live in. i can't wait to move up to where u are. and if you can't take me serouisly because i misspell words or use my own made up abreviations for stuff, well that can be blamed on my fine louisiana education, and i'm sorry that it offends you... i bet your head would explode if you actually heard the way i talk, with my proud southern drawl... lol
i guess i could start using spell check.... ahh what the hell... most people can figure it out :)

I watch a lot of "The First 48" on A&E, where they track homicide detectives trying to solve murder cases. I'm constantly amazed at how they are able to get people to talk, to confess to crimes. I mean, whether or not you did it, how hard is it really to say "I want my lawyer here" when they're asking you about someone getting shot?

Yeah. I just spent about 45 minutes watching these. Pretty much just reiterated what I already knew. Never, ever, ever, ever talk to the police. You are legally required to provide identification, and nothing else.

You are not legally required to have identification, let alone carry it with you. The Supreme Court has uniformly struck down laws (usually called "anti-vagrancy laws" or similar) attempting to require that.

You do, of course, have to have and carry identification to operate a motor vehicle and in other limited situations.

Thanks for the vids. Good info.

I wouldn't want that Crim Def Attny coming after me. That dood is SLICK! :D

I watch a lot of "The First 48" on A&E, where they track homicide detectives trying to solve murder cases. I'm constantly amazed at how they are able to get people to talk, to confess to crimes. I mean, whether or not you did it, how hard is it really to say "I want my lawyer here" when they're asking you about someone getting shot?

It's one of the few shows I watch. One reason I think some people talk is murder is it's some serious psychological baggage. Pretty big line to cross and quite a few can't handle it.

I don't agree with not talking to a cop at all. I think you need to know when to shut up and when to talk. Talking can get you out of tickets and not talking is a fast way to get the dogs called out to sniff your car which producing a false positive gives them reason to search.

You are not legally required to have identification, let alone carry it with you. The Supreme Court has uniformly struck down laws (usually called "anti-vagrancy laws" or similar) attempting to require that.

You do, of course, have to have and carry identification to operate a motor vehicle and in other limited situations.

The police do have a right to detain you "long enough to determine whether enough evidence exists to charge you". In practical terms, that might even be up to 24 hours. So, good luck with that whole not-having-to-carry-ID thing.

The police do have a right to detain you "long enough to determine whether enough evidence exists to charge you". In practical terms, that might even be up to 24 hours. So, good luck with that whole not-having-to-carry-ID thing.

"Papers please. Please have your papers."

The video covers the reasons why he recommends pleading the 5th and it makes good sense.

For example:

"Anything you say can and will be used against you..."

But it's hearsay to use anything said that could help you and won't be usable in court. On that point alone, don't say anything without a lawyer present so you have corroboration... and maybe a recording.

yes your honor, my client is charging the nopd with violating his right to the fifth amendment, and physical abuse.
*officer takes the stand*
"uhh yeau ya honuh, well, see what had happend was, that white boy didn't wanna gimme his ID and said he wanted to talk to his lawyuh first... i said yeau yeau that's cool... and as i was gettin my keys to my car he tripped and fell right on top of my billy club and then hit the button on my pepper spray and fell on the ground... i guess he was tryin to get up and grabbed my tazer and shot himself in the face with it"
*judge*
"case closed, u still comin over for gumbo tonight huh?"
*officer*
"sho ya right"

That's independent of a legal requirement to carry ID, though. It's hardly that unusual in the US for people not to have ID, especially among the young, poor, or elderly.

Of course things like talking to the cops or complying with their requests can make them more inclined to be reasonable.

I'll grant you, NOPD may have their share of colorful corruption, but they don't hold a friggin' candle to Baton Rouge. That police force actually got a letter of commendation from the KKK.

That was before they elected an African American as mayor, who then appointed an African American Chief of Police. Both are fine people, by the by... they both actually walked my wife to her car personally one night when she got done with work.

yeau i lived in baton rouge for a while... it's a whole nother world from NO. the black people in baton rouge are a hell of a lot nicer than the ones here.
i've grown up around a lot of klan members... i never quite understood those people... i've never quite understood any fanatics to tell you the truth. but i was never much of a racist until i moved to new orleans. these aren't your average everyday black folk.

I have talked to police once thinking I was helping out an ex-girlfriend with a new jealous guy. Nope, just because she swore I would never do anything like slash her tires didn't stop the cop from going through his whole multiple personality schpeil and basically accuse me of doing it. I about peed my pants trying to get out of there with him telling me how guilty it made me look to work at a store that sold the same generic kitchen knives used to slash her tires. I never heard another word once I said I wasn't sure why he was questioning me and that I wanted my lawyer uncle to advice me if he was violating any rights by accusing an innocent man outright!!! My father also called the detective afterwards (and told the chief) he could expect no more "donations" of 100% paid for bullet-proof vests for the department that the bank had been giving them for the past 3 years. Very appologetic after that, and much more of their time raising money for such things from then on out. Small town and small minds, but it does happen everywhere. Never again will I "help" the police with my words, takes the fun out of their job. I would hate someone taking the fun out of my job, and do unto others... right? I hate disrespect though, and cops make it where you basically have to when not answering their questions. Traffic stops don't bother me and I talk my way out of 99.9% of anything car related, but never again will I "interview" without a lawyer present, ever!!!!

It really is one of those, until you have been there you don't understand, types of things.

agreed, they'll only **** you.

the aclu made this video, it's kinda cheesy.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA&NR=1]YouTube - BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters[/ame]

I find that if you are polite, don't do anything wrong, and generally try to help the police do their job they are very nice people on the whole - not too say there isn't the random *****enozzle mixed in, but don't assume they all are.

I find that if you are polite, don't do anything wrong, and generally try to help the police do their job they are very nice people on the whole - not too say there isn't the random *****enozzle mixed in, but don't assume they all are.

the problem is, that when you run into a bad person most of the time, you can just say "screw it" and back off, and move on with your life.

if a cop is an ass, and you don't know your rights, you can end up in the slammer

you should really watch at least the first video.
Even if you are entirely innocent and tell nothing but the truth, it can be used to convict you of something you did not do. It isn't a matter if the cop is a dick or not. His job is to fine and arrest you.

That one example he gave about the fish wildlife and plant is crazy.

Let's be honest - the point of the video begins when you get pulled into an "interview", if the police go through all the trouble of actually wasting their time pulling you into an interview they feel they already have the right guy or think you have enough information about who the right guy is, or that you might SOMEHOW be connected. Me... if I ever get a ticket just pay the thing and get it done with.

Hey man, I grew up in NYC. Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell, Abner Louima... trust me, I know that come cities have ****ty cops that do horrible things. But you can't give in because of that.
Man, you just blew your cover! Now we're gonna have to get you a new name and move you again!!! :mad:

I haven't read every comment yet, but I am really surprised at the turn out to this thread. ;)

What, no Chris Rock? Oh for shame.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8]YouTube - Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police![/ame]

I was born and raised in Jefferson Parish. Lived in Orleans Parish, Algiers at that, and not the point either. Lived in Terrebonne and Lafourche too. Traveled all over the Acadiana Parishes doing insurance work. Moved away from south Louisiana after Katrina.

Kenner cops are assey. They'll stop you for all kinds of stuff and give you the verbal run around. I got stopped for running a red light that turned from green to yellow to red while I was in the intersection. Right by the horse track on Sunset, if GranillaNutz is familiar. After some... conversation, they gave me a ticket for a burned out license plate light and not for running a red light. I stopped at the corner on Williams and sure enough, the bulb was out. Fixed it and went to court with my .50¢ receipt for the bulb and got off scott free.

Metairie cops are nosey but, pretty cool. They will stop you on "suspicion" but not say that. They'll chat you up like they're your long lost brother.

NOPD is mainly lazy. I called about some dude prowling around our house in Algiers and they didn't care. Really. Not Our Problem Dude. The third time the dude came by I ran him off with a .357 and called NOPD. They told me it was against the law to shoot a gun in the city. That's all. And no, I didn't shoot.

The Acadiana cops are laid back. I got stopped once in Eunice for "not being from around here" while out there for an appraisal on a wrecked car. Cop was cool and helped me find the address I was looking for. Of course, he knew the guy and had responded to the accident I was there about. And of course, he knew the other guy too.

Got pulled over for speeding on I-10 in Baton Rouge. 70 in a 60. Guilty and with 3 guns in the car. Cop didn't even ask to see them when I told him I had them after he asked, "Any guns, knives, bombs, kidnap victims or drugs in the car?" After a chat about hunting and a run of my license, he let us go.

All in all, it's mainly traffic stuff that has got me and cops together. Some of it BS. Some of it not. Some of it a mix.

Got pulled over for speeding on I-10 in Baton Rouge. 70 in a 60. Guilty and with 3 guns in the car. Cop didn't even ask to see them when I told him I had them after he asked, "Any guns, knives, bombs, kidnap victims or drugs in the car?" After a chat about hunting and a run of my license, he let us go.

Good info.

I've been to Metairie and Kenner. My sister in law used to live in Chalmette until the flood. She's out by the airport now.

I heard (once) that if you are pulled over and asked for your license and have a gun card/permit to hand that over also. REASON: to put the cops mind at ease. WHY: Because only law abiding citizens get these.
Anyone know/have experience with this situation?

Nice 2d video BTW. Thanks.

I still have to see the 3rd one.

i've called the cops once in nola cuz i had bout 2000 bux worth of tools stolen and they left a magnetic tool tray behind... they' wou'dve had to pry the tray off of the tool box and i'm sure they didn't have gloves on... i asked the lady cop (who made me go across the street to her car because she didn't want to get out of the air conditiond vehicle) to fingerprint it... she said
"what u think this is... csi or somtin?.. well lemme call crime lab cuz some white boy lost his tools"... then she just drove off
i was in awe

i've called the cops once in nola cuz i had bout 2000 bux worth of tools stolen and they left a magnetic tool tray behind... they' wou'dve had to pry the tray off of the tool box and i'm sure they didn't have gloves on... i asked the lady cop (who made me go across the street to her car because she didn't want to get out of the air conditiond vehicle) to fingerprint it... she said
"what u think this is... csi or somtin?.. well lemme call crime lab cuz some white boy lost his tools"... then she just drove off
i was in awe
I would have made it a private mission to get her badge...:mad:

I don't agree with not talking to a cop at all. I think you need to know when to shut up and when to talk. Talking can get you out of tickets and not talking is a fast way to get the dogs called out to sniff your car which producing a false positive gives them reason to search.

I agree most people don't know when to shut up when dealing with cops.
I don't have a nice set of tits so I have never talked my way out of a ticket, although I have tried. As for the dog and search that one is simple.
"No sir you do not have my permission to search my vehicle and I'm aware that you do not need it to call the dogs in. On the other hand since I'm hiding nothing, I have all night to waste your time in a fruitless attempt to make yourself seem important and powerful. Please call for the canine unit."

Back in the day I was the one your parents didn't like much. Hair down to my butt, riding a chopper, never seemed to have a job but always had money. What they didn't see was the hours that I worked at night while still attending and graduating from HS to provide for myself. The fact that that only you can control your life and as such I would not be held to the expectations of others, the only one I needed to prove anything to was myself. Hence the free spirit and distrust from many people that seem to have a need to control you.
Cops today are a different breed than they used to be and as such are much better people, but unfortunately there are still many of them that are on power trips. For cops that are respectful to me they earn my respect and limited cooperation. For cops that are trippin for power they get the time waster speech. Back on topic. A cop is a cop, and anything you say can and will be used against you particularly if its an honest cop. After all they took and oath to uphold law. In short only tell a cop about something you want to get busted for. sorry for the rant.

"No sir you do not have my permission to search my vehicle and I'm aware that you do not need it to call the dogs in. On the other hand since I'm hiding nothing, I have all night to waste your time in a fruitless attempt to make yourself seem important and powerful. Please call for the canine unit."
that reminds me of that cheech and chong movie... i think it was "nice dreams" and chong kept tellin the cop "naw naw man... u can't search us man cus that's like illegal search and seizure man.."
I would have made it a private mission to get her badge...
that's kinda hard to do if she's laid back in her car... i didn't wanna ask her.. excuse me ma'am cud u lean the other way so i can have ur name and badge number
i would've expected a "sure here u go crackuh" *mace in the eyes*
baton rouge is a bit different:
i got pulled over on i-10 going 112 in a 60 and told the cop i was late for work and he dropped it to a 89 in a 60... 30 mph over is jail time so i think i got off pretty easy there

Back