Never seen this before.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
This is harvested from a batch of Old Rasputin clone. For that batch I had used WLP001 from a starter, but also put in previously harvested WLP001 slurry.

I harvested in my usual way, but ended up with something odd. The jar on the left has only yeast, the one in the middle only trub, and the one on the right has a layer of trub (same appearance as trub in middle jar) and what seems to be a layer of yeast UNDER the trub. I usually would get 3 jars that each have 3 layers, like the one on the right (but reversed, and with varying proportions of trub/yeast).

Looking around at the forum, dead yeast is a candidate for that bottom layer since it falls to the bottom, but isn't it usually just mixed in with trub?...and would there be THIS much of it?

20160531_125010.jpg

Nah. If you look closely all three jars have three layers: trub, yeast, and hop trub. It's a little odd that one of the jars has waaaay more than the others, but that could easily be from uneven pouring.

For the record, you can decant and clarify the yeast if you want to.

Nah. If you look closely all three jars have three layers: trub, yeast, and hop trub. It's a little odd that one of the jars has waaaay more than the others, but that could easily be from uneven pouring.

For the record, you can decant and clarify the yeast if you want to.

hmmm..OK, I'm seeing a little more than I did before.

I've never had trub both over and under yeast before like in that jar on the right. Or even seen it in a video.

Bottom line then is: If it's white, it's yeast?

I end up with almost no hops/trub/break in my jars of yeast. I whirlpool for 5-10 minutes after the boil, then let it stand for 15-20 minutes to settle. I drain from my kettle with a side pickup tube that drains from the outer rim of the kettle, avoiding sucking up all the hop/trub/junk in the middle. When the level gets low enough to start sucking up the junk, I kill the feed. I end up with almost no sediment at all in my fermenter. After fermentation, the later at the bottom of the carboy is almost pure yeast.

Back