Never seen this before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TycoRossBrewing

Reaction score
So Im a fairly experienced brewer, like twenty batches in since November and I just ran into a really weird issue.

So I brewed a rosemary IPA and it came out great. No proproblems at all when I chill it the same day I drink it, but I put a bottle in the fridge for like 3 weeks and it had a much fuller body and a crazy amount of chill haze. Could it be the rosemary or the yeast...im just confused about this?

hard to tell without knowing your recipe or process. I doubt it would have to do with the rosemary though

Well my main thing is, if i chill the beer the same day I drink it, there is no problem, but if I chill it for like three weeks its all ****ed up. Has anyone heard of this happening? I feel the yeast might be the culprit but I have never seen this issue on anyones forum.

I've seen this happen with commercial beer before... how cold is your fridge? It could be it's too cold which is why if you leave it in there for less than a day it's not hazy.

That could be it, but then wouldnt it do that to all my beers? Seemed to only affect that one style.

I don't think it is the rosemary or the yeast (or at least not the yeast *directly*). Most chill haze can be traced back to an inadequate hot break and/or slow cold break. And/or a lack of cold-crashing, or cold-conditioning. Did you use whirlfloc or Irish moss in the boil? Chill haze is chill haze. The fact it doesn't haze the same day you stick it in the fridge sounds like it simply isn't being given the cold time for those renegade proteins to coagulate. Does the haze form after only a couple days in the fridge, or does it take the full three weeks? Does it clear as it warms up?

Back