Never had this happen before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phansen37

Reaction score
First let me describe my setup. I am using 5 gal glass carboy and 1.5 in tubing as blow off into a bucket of water.

Anyway. I had two batches fermenting and went on vacation. I keep the bucket of water with the blow off tubes on a milk crate next to carboy. Well I come back to rack to kegs and the water from Hoosier bucket is pushed back into the carboy. I know that there was storms in area but could the pressure differential been so great to push water into and up hose to fill the carboys? Been brewing 20 some years and never seen this before.

how much water was in the bucket? does your volume in the carboy look larger? Im thinking evaporation, how long were you gone?

Oh, yeah, changes in temperature and barometic pressure will definitely cause some suck-back from airlocks and blow off tubes. It helps if the blow off tube receiving vessel is on the floor, not up on top of something, but even then you can get some suck-back.

Back