Never Ending Traffic RANT!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
The turn signal thing (see earlier rant) stood on it's own.

Today I am merely annoyed by people that slow down, stop, go out of turn, etc. because they think they are being nice.

Case in point: 55MPH fairly rural road. Lady in front of me slows and flashes her lights to let someone out....there is no one behind us. In the time it takes the person to realize that she is leting them out, more time to make sure that she is serious, another pause to make sure it isn't a joke, we could have been a mile down the road, and in fact, the person she let out would have been a good bit farther along if we had just sped by and they had turned onto the road in the usual way.

A little later at a 4 way stop. Nice idiot in his pick up truck decides to forego the pattern and flow which is allowing everyone to get through the intersection more or less smoothly, and let some lady to his left go before him........He waves, obviously understanding that it is in fact his turn, said woman hesitates, looks around to make sure he is not motioning to someone else, etc.

I am all for letting someone out if there is a line of traffic behind me and they might actually sit there for 10 minutes waiting for another opportunity, and if it doesn't really slow me down since we end up right back in the same line, if a car length or 3 back. So what?

But when being "nice" just messes up the flow and slows everyone down. WTF?

Please feel free to start a seemingly unrelated traffic rant here, or continue this one. If no one else does, I will probably be able to keep it nearly never-ending on my own.;)

edit: Yes I know Soulive, I need to relax de-stress etc. I didn't use red or bold though!

That is why I like driving in Chicago. Here in STL, things like you mentioned are common occurrence. Not that way in Chicago. Everyone goes all the time. Some people have trouble handling it, and it can be a little intense, however, i love it.

oh, man, I am SO with you on this one, cheezy. What people don't realize is that traffic has a natural pattern & flow...yes, there are certain instances where you can't get in, and it takes a nice person to LET you in---but that doesn't mean letting EVERYONE in. When you do that, all you're doing is robbing peter to pay paul---because you screw the people behind YOU as a result.

I don't get it...it's like these idiots need to go to confession or something and say some hail maries, rather than trying to atone for their sins by trying to be the nicest person on the road. It's not a goddamned courtesy contest, people, it's a system that relies on established norms to function consistently---and when you break those norms, you may be making someone happy, but you're more than likely effing up the natural flow of the system.

*****es.

It only takes one dope in his volvo doing 70 in the fast lane to grind a rush hour ride into a hell ride. If you are in the left lane of any major highway and not doing 75+ stay in the middle lane. I'm with you on the turn signals too cheezy.

:mug:

I totally agree with the op, very frustrating.

A pet peave of mine is people that don't know how to merge when entering the freeway. first of all, they proceed down the on ramp at 30 mph and when they get to the end, they stop with their signal on waiting for someone to let them in! WTF?

Drive your freaking car to the end of the on ramp and MERGE! And be up to speed when you enter traffic!

Do you sometimes feel like the guy in the following Chuck Brodsky song?

Every morning, I commute.
Mild-mannered man. In a business suit.
When I wanna come home at the end of my day
There's all these other cars stacked up in my way.
I pull up behind one
Pull out my pistol
Blow 'em away

When I'm driving my car I wanna go fast
But there's this slow car, won't let me pass
I flash my lights. I honk my horn.
Well.... I have to consider him warned.
I pull up behind him
Pull out my pistol
Blow 'em away

Jesse James behind the wheel
It's high noon in my automobile
You call me crazy,
You call me sick

Yeah, I got to get to where I'm going to quick
Son of a *****, he cut me off.
Three whole lanes he pulled across
Made me mad. Made me swerve.
Son of a ***** got what he deserved.
I pulled up behind him
Pulled out my pistol
Blew 'em away.

Oh, look
Motorcycle, is riding between
He's splittin' lanes, if you know what I mean
This cuttin' in line that's an act of war
I saw him comin'. I opened my door.
Knocked him over
Pulled out my pistol
Blew 'em away

Jesse James behind the wheel
It's high noon in my automobile
You call me crazy,
You call me sick

Yeah, I got to get to where I'm going to quick
Little ol' lady, bless her heart.
She's walkin' her poodle 'cross the boulevard.
It was wearin' a red knit sweater, little knitted hat
Probably named "Fifi" or somethin' stupid like that!
I say, "Here Fifi"
Pulled out my pistol
Blew it away.

Try driving in south Florida right now, with every bad driver from (insert any northern state here) that has to be on the roads at rush hour although they DO NOT WORK.
We have a saying down here" If it's tourist season , why can't we hunt them"

The tourist go home just as it starts to get too hot to do anything.

And don't even bring up BoSox spring training

ohiobrewtus said:
Just never let anyone in, that's what I do.

*****es.
Agreed.

If you had time to stop for a half caff, half soy, half skim *****eachino, you're SOL.

On the topic of merging, it pisses me off when you get up to speed, signal, and get ready to merge but can't, because the a-hole in the right lane couldn't move into the empty left lane to let you in.

Or what about when a lane is going to merge from two lanes to on the left (the signs announcing the merge started a mile back), and people continue to blaze past in the opposite lane trying to get ahead but end up bringing traffic to a standstill because they couldn't just merge back farther.

Drive right.

Pass left.

Is this graduate school level material?

I just wanna know. I have been driving at least 25k miles a year for 15 plus, almost 20 years now, and I just wanna know. What is difficult to understand about this concept?

I don't drive anywhere on major holiday weekends. I am stocked up with two weeks worth of stuff one week in advance; I won't even drive to the grocery store.

My favorite is when there are three cars, one in each lane, all going 5 mph under the limit.

You'd think they're communicating in sign language on the road to communicate or something. Wrong. They're just that good at bad driving.

spent a saturday afternoon in Miami Beach. Best driving place on earth. Everyone does 20+ over the limit, no one get's mad when you pass or tries to block, they seem to understand the left=fast right=slow concept. The pedestrians are idiots and walk right out in the street without a care in the world, but the driving is a million times better than here in Cincy.

This one's situation specific but here it goes. If you live in Cincy and drive the outerbelt (I275) and you want to use the construction lane (barriers on both sides, lane on opposite side of highway), ask yourself this question, "Am I so afraid of concrete barriers that I can't bear to go faster than 45mph?" If your answer is "Yes" then for the love of God, DONT USE THE CONSTRUCTION LANE!! Go sit in the slow traffic in the regular lanes. Those of us using this bypass lane want to go full speed, and we will get pissed and ride your a$$ the whole way if you don't get it in gear! That lane has been there for a year now, it's not like you didn't know it was there or what it would be like!

I was watching a 20/20 blurb about road rage in my anger management class (oh god that class pisses me off no end but that's another rant) where the 'reporters' were driving 65, the posted speed limit, in the lefthand lane. And people were passing them on the right. at 75 MPH plus. I feel like THEY were in the wrong! If you're blocking traffic in the left lane, it's YOUR responsibility to move your snailass over! And they thought the guy flashing his lights at them to make them move over was in the wrong ! )R%&^# HREIURE@&^@#@@#

OK this may get ugly, but if you flash your lights at me and I'm going the speed limit, **** YOU!!!! , go around,

It doesn't bother me personally, I'll just go around your grampa ass on the right hand side. :D It just irks me that people go slow in the LEFT hand lane. Slow meaning 'slower than the flow of traffic', not necessarily below the speed limit.

And that's another thing, I hate it when people flash lights at me and ride my ass when I'm in the MIDDLE lane! There's another lane to my left, aholes THAT'S what it's there for!!!

And does anyone else read this thread and can't help but hear it narrated with Adam Corrolla's voice?

EvilTOJ said:
I was watching a 20/20 blurb about road rage in my anger management class (oh god that class pisses me off no end but that's another rant) where the 'reporters' were driving 65, the posted speed limit, in the lefthand lane. And people were passing them on the right. at 75 MPH plus. I feel like THEY were in the wrong! If you're blocking traffic in the left lane, it's YOUR responsibility to move your snailass over! And they thought the guy flashing his lights at them to make them move over was in the wrong ! )R%&^# HREIURE@&^@#@@#

+1 if you're going 65 in the left lane people are going to go around you. You have to be going at least 75 around these parts to not get passed on the right. If you don't plan on speeding you don't belong in the left lane.

EvilTOJ said:
It doesn't bother me personally, I'll just go around your grampa ass on the right hand side. :D It just irks me that people go slow in the LEFT hand lane. Slow meaning 'slower than the flow of traffic', not necessarily below the speed limit.

And that's another thing, I hate it when people flash lights at me and ride my ass when I'm in the MIDDLE lane! There's another lane to my left, aholes THAT'S what it's there for!!!

And does anyone else read this thread and can't help but hear it narrated with Adam Corrolla's voice?

That having been said...

I usually drive the interstates with my cruise set somewhere around 7-10mph over the limit. It seems to be a reasonable area, I don't pass too many people and I don't get passed too much.

But I run into this situation far too often, and it PISSES me off to NO end: I'll be rolling along with my cruise set, in the right lane. I'll come upon a line of cars or semi's in front of me going slower than I am. So I get into the left lane to pass them. As I'm passing them, one or two or three speed racer *****ebags roll up behind me and start riding my ass---as if they actually expect me to bump up my cruising speed for their chump asses. They can wait until I pass these people, for chrissakes---just because you're going 15 over and I'm only going 10 over does not mean that you instantly own the left hand lane. Sorry, but the LAST thing I'm going to do is speed up for your benefit.

Then, they start flashing lights and swerving into the shoulder, just to be absolutely sure that I know what a f*cking huge hurry they're in. Big mistake, *********. Riding my ass and flashing your lights is a surefire way to get me to bump my cruise DOWN a couple clicks. Heh, now you can wait even longer, *****. :D

The left lane is for passing slower traffic on the right. I get my turn just like you. The fact that you're cruising slightly faster than me does not give you some kind of priority.

...this is only exacerbated by idiot *****es who go slow in the right lane, but as soon as I try to pass them, they speed up.

Brewtopia said:
OK this may get ugly, but if you flash your lights at me and I'm going the speed limit, **** YOU!!!! , go around,

The left lane is for passing. If you are not allowing someone to pass, I don't care how fast you are going, you are in the wrong. I would pass you on the right, cut you off and slam on my brakes and take you down well below the speed limit.

cubbies said:
The left lane is for passing. If you are not allowing someone to pass, I don't care how fast you are going, you are in the wrong. I would pass you on the right, cut you off and slam on my brakes and take you down well below the speed limit.

Yeah, THAT'll solve the problem: causing an accident!

I agree that the left lane is for passing, but if you do have room on the right to pass, then just DO it. Is it really worth the possibility of an accident that could result in injury or death, just to teach brewtopia, et al, a lesson, when all it takes is you going around them to the right and going on your merry way? There are a lot of things on the road that piss me off, but I don't always feel the need to endanger myself and others just to get back at people. Cutting people off and slamming on your brakes in front of them, to get back at them for not obeying lane-change etiquette, that's just stupid.

Regardless---I remember a little bit by (I think) Jerry Seinfeld where he quips that, on the road, no matter what YOUR speed is, everyone going slower than you is an old lady, and everyone going faster than you is a maniac. I think we can all admit to this foible, at least from time to time :D

heinz57 said:
My favorite is when there are three cars, one in each lane, all going 5 mph under the limit.

You'd think they're communicating in sign language on the road to communicate or something. Wrong. They're just that good at bad driving.

Ah, the old Maryland Rolling Roadblock!

When I moved here from PA, I was traumatized by bad drivers. Back home, people are nice, they move over into the left lane to let someone coming down an on-ramp get in, we move over to the right when we're done passing (in PA - that's actually a LAW, not just the right thing to do), etc.

I come to Maryland, and it's balls out get yourself home as fast as possible while trying to score points by being the biggest *****ie this side of the Mason-Dixon. People here drive a mile beyond the end of the on-ramp because they can't find a way in, or are too lazy to stop at the end and try to work themselves in. They just drive down the shoulder at 55 until someone gets freaked out by the guy barrelling down the shoulder and slows down enough to let them in. At which point, said maniac driver gets into a lane and proceeds to slam on the brakes and go 15 miles an hour under the speed limit. Too in a hurry to stop at the ramp, not in a hurry enough to actually go the speed limit.

I also hate the Maryland 4 way stop, which basically means 2 of every car for each turn because the 2nd car in line has to just ride the bumper of the first to sneak out because they can't wait for another round.

Let's see - left hand exits, that's next. Who the hell designed this crappy highway and WHY would they make 1 left hand exit in between 20 right hand exits? All it means is that everyone coming ON at the right side 5 exits back is now fighting to go slow as hell in the left lane 18 miles before their exit so that instead of just the right lanes being slow due to on-off traffic, now ALL lanes are slow because you're got your blinker on and are in the left exit lane 17.5 miles before you even have to be there to exit!

I won't even get to the whole rain and snow thing. I'm from PA where we have trucks and 4 wheel drive and go 55 or better in ANY condition. And our accident rate is lower than Maryland which has an unofficial speed limit of 15 - because you can't actually go any faster due to backed up traffic from the latest accident.

Ok, one last rant - HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET PULLED OVER FOR SPEEDING DURING RUSH HOUR?!?!? It takes me 45-60 minutes to go 22 miles, and I see one dummy a day pulled over. I can't get above 30 most times, how the heck did this one dingleberry get over 55 without hitting 12 people in front of him? Oh, I know - he was probably doing 65 down the SHOULDER because he didn't feel like properly merging.

That is all for today...

jezter6 said:
I won't even get to the whole rain and snow thing. I'm from PA where we have trucks and 4 wheel drive and go 55 or better in ANY condition.

Are you serious? All I have to say in response to that is F*CK PENNDOT! My mom and I were driving back from Connecticut one time, down 78/81. A big snowstorm brewed up on the way. The jersey roads were okay. As soon as we crossed the PA border, there was a distinct line on the road where the Jersey crews stopped plowing. For the next 5 hours, our eyes witnessed exactly one penndot salt/plow truck (and even then, it was on a side road, not the interstate), and this was a significant storm. The roads were treacherous...and so you have the majority of traffic going 35-50mph because there's nearin' 8" of snow on the interstate and it's still coming down heavy, and the crackhead tractor trailers going 80. Talk about dangerous!

As soon as we crossed the WV border, the roads were clear again.

So what you're telling me is, penndot doesn't do their job because lots of people in PA have 4wd vehicles? Heh. We had an AWD car, that doesn't mean going 55mph+ in 8" of snow is a good idea...

cubbies said:

I don't slam on the breaks, but I do cut people off if I have to pass on the right. Some people have no clue and it's up to us to beat it into them.

As long and you're PASSING traffic in the left and doing at least the speed limit - fine. If you're a blocker, you're scum of the earth and don't deserve your license. It may be different in less populated areas, but where I live, you need to get with the program or get off the road.

rdwj said:
I don't slam on the breaks, but I do cut people off if I have to pass on the right. Some people have no clue and it's up to us to beat it into them.

As long and you're PASSING traffic in the left and doing at least the speed limit - fine. If you're a blocker, you're scum of the earth and don't deserve your license. It may be different in less populated areas, but where I live, you need to get with the program or get off the road.

I agree, blockers are evil---but just be warned, if you're a dick to me and ride my ass and flash your lights all because I'm legally trying to pass someone who is going slower than me, you will instantly transform me into a blocker. SOP: Riding my ass for 15 seconds gets you one tap on my brakes, not so that the brakes actually engage, but just so the brakes lights light up and give you a little wake-up call. 30 seconds riding my ass gets you one tap down on my cruise control lever. Flashing your lights at me gets you one, maybe two more taps down on the CC. If I'm being a dick and just cruising in the left lane and not passing anyone, fine (not gonna happen though)---but if I'm legally passing someone and you're a dick, prepare to meet a blocker. :p

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET PULLED OVER FOR SPEEDING DURING RUSH HOUR?!?!?

Probably something even more deadly, like "Failure to use a turn signal in a lane change."

Nothing worse than cruise control in heavy traffic.

Someone going 7 - 10 miles over the speed limit passing two cars going 6-9 miles over the speed limit, blocking both lanes for the 5 minutes it takes the faster car to pass.

Meanwhile: 5 cars, 2 semis, 1 delivery truck, and a school bus have lined up behind this mess, all jockying for the best way to get around this chunk of constipation...

Hit the gas, Pass, then put your cruise control back on...

Sean said:
Nothing worse than cruise control in heavy traffic.

Someone going 7 - 10 miles over the speed limit passing two cars going 6-9 miles over the speed limit, blocking both lanes for the 5 minutes it takes the faster car to pass.

Meanwhile: 5 cars, 2 semis, 1 delivery truck, and a school bus have lined up behind this mess, all jockying for the best way to get around this chunk of constipation...

Hit the gas, Pass, then put your cruise control back on...

Hogwash. I could understand if I was going 2mph over the limit, but like I said, I'm usually going 7-10mph over. If you think I'm going to increase my risk of getting a speeding ticket just so you can get where you're going 3 seconds sooner, you've got another thing coming. The left lane is there to be used as a passing lane. As long as I'm not going as slow or slower than the traffic on the right, all the chumps who are on my ass can get bent. I have as much right to use it as a passing lane as anyone else, whether I'm going 8mph over the limit or 12mph over it.

You do indeed have that right. But people will be the way they are, and in that instance the slowly passing car is causing a dangerous situation, blocking the flow of traffic.

That said, I do not tailgate. I hang back, or slow down, or whatever, I am not usually in that big of a rush. Things work themselves out.

The only other point I would make is:

You have no idea if they speeder is rushing a loved one to the hospital, or is late for a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don't judge, pass and then get back over. Don't just sit in the left lane because I will pass your ass.

and GET OFF OF THE FRIGGING PHONE ASS HOLES!!!

Sean said:
You do indeed have that right. But people will be the way they are, and in that instance the slowly passing car is causing a dangerous situation, blocking the flow of traffic.

That said, I do not tailgate. I hang back, or slow down, or whatever, I am not usually in that big of a rush. Things work themselves out.

Like I said, if I'm going 7-10mph over the limit, then I'd surmise that the ones going 20-30 over the limit are the ones who are creating said dangerous situation, not myself. The safest speed to go on the highway is the mean speed of traffic. The further you get from that mean, higher or lower, the more dangerous you're being. Most people, I find, are going 7-12mph over on most interstates around here. This varies slightly---on I-95, it's 10-20mph over, so I adapt to fit the situation. All I'm saying is that it's not always the responsibility of the slower traffic to speed up to adapt to the faster traffic.

Indeed, if you are going the speed limit and there is a car in the right lane a reasonably short distance up, you have the right to remain in the left lane.

NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO JUST CRUISE ALONG IN THE LEFT LANE. NO MATTER WHAT.

david_42 said:
Probably something even more deadly, like "Failure to use a turn signal in a lane change."

I'm guilty of that. I'm from open areas where there's no cars and you don't have to bother. Living in MD, I often forget that the guy riding in my blind spot for 15 minutes doesn't understand that I'm trying to get into his lane.

Of course, maybe if people didn't drive in the blind spot and always gave room, this wouldn't be a problem.

I usually leave 4-5 lengths in front of me, even in heavy traffic, just because I hate the idea of slamming my breaks to a halt and being freaked out. Unfortunately, that just leads to more asshats saying "look at all that space" and coming into my open area and proceeding to slam on their breaks. That's actually one of my BIGGEST pet peeves - people who speed up to change lanes, only to slam on the brakes once they get over into the lane. Makes NO sense.

How about a new direction of conversation? Two footed drivers! If you use both feet while driving but the left one is touching any pedal other than the clutch, you are doing it wrong. If you want to rest that foot on the brake pedal and over-heat/wear out your brakes, fine. BUT the problem is that your damn brake lights are flashing on and off with every bump in the road. It's like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". The next time you actually hit the brakes on purpose, I just might rearend you because I have no idea it's for real.

Evan! said:
Yeah, THAT'll solve the problem: causing an accident!

I would not cause an accident. I am not talking hitting my brakes to the point of tires squealing and having them rear end me, I am talking about putting them in my situation. Getting in front of them, and making them slow down to a speed they don't want to travel in the passing lane. Does anyone actually learn the lesson? Probably not, but there is a hell of a lot better chance than if I did nothing. I am not the "do nothing" type of person. If I don't agree with the way you are handling a situation, especially if it has a direct effect on me, then I am going to make sure you know about it.

This mentioned on another thread, but the people who purposely get in the wrong lane because it is a shorter line, and then try to force their way in up ahead suck so badly.

If everyone just got in the proper lane, especially if there is a wreck blocking one lane up ahead, traffic could move smoothly for everyone instead of having to stop and slow down to let all of the retards in who are in such a hurry to get to wherever they have to go in their loser lives.

Evan! said:
I agree, blockers are evil---but just be warned, if you're a dick to me and ride my ass and flash your lights all because I'm legally trying to pass someone who is going slower than me, you will instantly transform me into a blocker. SOP: Riding my ass for 15 seconds gets you one tap on my brakes, not so that the brakes actually engage, but just so the brakes lights light up and give you a little wake-up call. 30 seconds riding my ass gets you one tap down on my cruise control lever. Flashing your lights at me gets you one, maybe two more taps down on the CC. If I'm being a dick and just cruising in the left lane and not passing anyone, fine (not gonna happen though)---but if I'm legally passing someone and you're a dick, prepare to meet a blocker. :p

I think I know what you are saying, and I think I agree, but sometimes, people go into constant "passing mode". They are in the right lane, and come up on a semi and get over to pass said semi. Then I come up behind them and have to get off of my cruise control because they are passing slower than I would pass. Fine. Completely understandable. However, then they pass said truck and they see another one up a little ways, say 100 yards or so. They then decide, that they are going to pass that truck too, and then there is a guy with a trailer in front of that truck and so on and so forth. I will ride the ass of those people.

I am never the fastest car on the road. I am like you 7-10 mph over. Sometimes not even that much. If I get over to pass, and someone comes up behind me, I move over at the very next opportunity.

cubbies said:
I think I know what you are saying, and I think I agree, but sometimes, people go into constant "passing mode". They are in the right lane, and come up on a semi and get over to pass said semi. Then I come up behind them and have to get off of my cruise control because they are passing slower than I would pass. Fine. Completely understandable. However, then they pass said truck and they see another one up a little ways, say 100 yards or so. They then decide, that they are going to pass that truck too, and then there is a guy with a trailer in front of that truck and so on and so forth. I will ride the ass of those people.

I am never the fastest car on the road. I am like you 7-10 mph over. Sometimes not even that much. If I get over to pass, and someone comes up behind me, I move over at the very next opportunity.

Well, we're talking about 2 very different situations then...I'm never in "constant passing mode". Those guys suck, to be sure. But they're very different than someone just passing then getting back over when there's an opening.

McKBrew said:
Or what about when a lane is going to merge from two lanes to on the left (the signs announcing the merge started a mile back), and people continue to blaze past in the opposite lane trying to get ahead but end up bringing traffic to a standstill because they couldn't just merge back farther.

Actually, all traffic moves faster if people use both lanes to the merge point. The ones who move over a mile before are the ones causing the problem (even though they think they're doing the right thing). Many states have finally realized this, and now put up "Use both lanes to the merge point" signs along with the "lane closed ahead" signs.

EVAN! you run 7-10 over in Virginia? You are braver man than me. The first 3 times I went there I got popped for 71 in the 65 So after that I just set the Cruise at 65 of course I was at 25 at the tops of the Mountains.:D Does anyone else hate when you are getting off of one Highway and on to another and it is not a Reduced speed Get off rant but there is always that 1 ****** that slows down to 45 Mph on a 70 Mph ramp? I just want to beat them with my FlashLight.

The other thing that REALLY pisses me off is people that don't wait to pull over on the next side street when there isn't a shoulder when a cop is pulling them over. Don't FREAKING just STOP and block traffic - drive a block and get off the main road.

Latest posts

Back