Never done this before !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANGUS_HINES

Reaction score
OK Ive made wine and distilled plenty of spirits !!1 But Ive never made beer !! So if I wanted to make something similar to Corona where would I start ?

use the search function and read read read read read read read.

There's a ton of knowledge on HBT if you just look around

Corona is a lager, so the first question is what is your fermentation temperature and how well regulated is it?

I have only brewed extract/ specialty grain ale recipes so far and I would say that's the place to start. Go to your LHBS and tell them what you want to do and they should be able to set you up with an ingredient kit and instructions.

Having made wine you probably have a lot of the hardware... fermenter, airlock, funnel, hydrometer, etc.

In a nutshell... go to the LHBS and tell them you want to make something like this http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1b (6B - assuming you aren't set up for lagering; which also is a bit more involved process wise).

This is my LHBS - their kits come with printed instructions that are easy to follow. http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/Zilron/catalog18_0.html

Happy brewing!

Corona is going to be pretty difficult. Being a lager you will need to pitch a lot of yeast, and ferment very cold for a long time. I have not done lagers yet, but I think I uderstand the basics. You'll probably need to have a fridge and temp controller if you want to have a good chance of making it come out right.

I don't have a recipe for Corona specifically, but I'm sure someone out there has something close. I've seen lots more European Lager recipes than Mexican Lager recipes. I don't know if they put adjuncts like corn or rice in Corona.

Light Lagers are really considered an advanced beer to brew at home, due to the lagering requirements and the fact that they are so very light and clean tasting. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's an ambitious brew to start with.

I'd say read as much about lager brewing as possible and keep looking for a recipe for Corona. Check out the yeast website's like Wyeast and White Labs. They have descriptions for their various yeasts and will probably be able to recommend one of their lager strains to match Corona as close as possible.

Good luck! Brewing a lager like Corona is going to require most of the tricks of the trade!

EDIT - FYI you were very close to incurring the wrath of the beer snobs who frequent this site. We get a few "How can I make Bud cheap?" threads. Needless to say, some of the members here enjoy riding the fine line between stating their disdain for those posters, and helping them out. It's usually all in good fun. Don't let the haters bring you down. If you want to make Corona, then by all means, go for it!

This post certainly is a conundrum. I agree with Homercidal in his observation that if you want to brew a Corona Clone, then go for it; this community would of course extend a hand. However, I have to ask the obvious question, why would you want to try an American Adjunct Lager as a first brew?

What kinds of beers have you experienced? Which ones really resonated? Are you brewing for you, or for family and friends?

There are many good ale recipes and kits that can result in light, crisp, refreshing beer with excellent flavor and body without the wait and somewhat more complicated process of creating a lager. The Centennial Blonde Ale is a very popular (in this forum) example of this.

Homebrewing is such a fun, creative hobby; if you have not done so yet, explore some different styles and reach for something exceptional :)

Good luck!

This isn't corona , BUT the corona drinkers I know really LOVE this beer.

9 LB 2 ROW
2 LB VIENNA
.5 OZ FUGGLES @ 60
.25 OZ FUGGLES @ 15
.5 OZ FUGGLES @ FLAMEOUT
Mashed at 149 for 60 minutes
Nottingham yeast
5 .5 gallon batch\
ferment 2 weeks in low 60's then cold crash before bottling

So I guess my question is, does Corona use a 2-row, or Pilsner malt?

Also, I would think that Hallertau or Saaz or some other noble hop must be used. (Can't remember the last time I had a Corona)

Like I said Ive never done beer before and it looks like I picked on of the hardest beers to start with....Maybe I need to back up and try something simpler to start with.

Suggestions ??? Where does a beginner start ? With the exception of the obvious of read read and read more?

If you haven't read howtobrew, then you need to start there for sure. That will get you through the basics, from there I would suggest finding a recipe that sounds good to you or purchasing a kit. At this point, you probably want to do one with extract since you (I assume) don't have the equipment for all grain yet.

As far as a style of beer, I would recommend something forgiving like an American amber or a porter/stout. That way, if you mess something up, it won't be as noticeable as it would be on something like a light lager.

Suggestions ??? Where does a beginner start ? With the exception of the obvious of read read and read more?

But read, read read is a big part of this.....

You won't more than likely be able to make a corona clone on your first. Heck, I didn't even attempt my first lager til I'd been brewing 2-3 years.

So, brew something else. Like I posted in one of the above threads, there are a few ale kits, and recipes that are similar in style to a beer like corona except they're ales...

Cream ales are good examples of a beer very similar. They use corn as an adjunct.

This is a close approximation as well... Cream of the Three Crops Ale

That or a kit of a similar type beer are going to be the best bet to get started

Like I said Ive never done beer before and it looks like I picked on of the hardest beers to start with....Maybe I need to back up and try something simpler to start with.

if you like taste of clean, crisp lagers (like me) I would suggest to do a Kolsch. Search for recipies and about it on HBT. Its an ale which tastes like lager, really easy to do with proper yeast and simple ingredients. You will need to ferment it in low 60's for best results. I would really steer clear of lagers or pilsners for first few batches. I did a Pilsner for my first batch and it went down the drain, I cried.

Thanks i'll have to check out all of these suggestions and see how it goes !!! Wish me luck.

Oh and any other good crisp lager(like) suggestions are most welcome !!

Thanks i'll have to check out all of these suggestions and see how it goes !!! Wish me luck.

Oh and any other good crisp lager(like) suggestions are most welcome !!

pale ale or cream ale will be delicious and very clean if fermented on low end of reccomended temerature. Use Nottingham dry yeast for first couple batches untill you learn about starters

Back