Neomexicanus Hop Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidMoxie

Reaction score
I originally posted this over in General Beer Discussion, but I think this is a more appropriate spot for it.

Howdy hop enthusiasts, as a follower of Stan Hieronymus’ blog I was recently tipped-off to the fact that a monastery in New Mexico has successfully cultivated and is selling homebrew-sized batches of neomexicanus hops from their website. Since this native American variety is new to the homebrew and even professional brewing scenes I thought I’d do a bit of research and share the details. I put together everything I found thus far in a couple of blog posts I thought y'all would enjoy.

Part 1: A primer on neomexicanus hops.

Part 2: I take a look at everything that's available for brewing, growing, and drinking with neomexicanus.

My review of Sierra Nevada's Harvest Wild Hop IPA - Neomexicanus Varietal.

If anyone has any questions about neomexicanus, let me know! :mug:

I would love to try to grow some of the multihead variety of Neomexicanus in my backyard here in VA. Do you know if anyone is selling or trading rhizomes?

Unfortunately it seems CLS Farms (the growers of Multihead/Medusa) are keeping it close to the vest. You'll likely be able to find Neo1 and Amalia, but keep an eye out for Multihead too. Here's what one of my commenters mentions:

The rhizomes for Amallia and Neo1 were available last year through RNV Enterprises. You can read yourself on their website, but Rob and Vickie were previously bigwigs for on of the biggest PNW hop companies. They sell extra rhizomes that aren’t needed by the farmers. Sometimes it’s from crown maintenance, sometimes from field replacements. Not clear which category their neomex. hops fall into, but if they’re the ones selling the rhizomes, it’s a safe bet that there are some large-scale trials going on. Personally, I bought an Amallia and it grew like gangbusters in southern NH last summer. Fast grower, taller even than my best first-year Cascade (above the third floor balcony railing), very full and bushy with lots of side shoots. Very small cones that were still forming when everything else was past harvest. Smelled great, very earthy – but hop aphids hit the week before harvest, so didn’t get to brew with it.

Back