Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale - hop schedule questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Working on a single hop pale ale recipe, focusing on Nelson Sauvin - i've managed to have a few commercial examples in New England of this hop used as a single hop and am seeking experience and input on a hop schedule. I have plenty of Nelson to work with (i have 16oz) but mostly curious on how it tends to work as a late addition and whirlpool and dry hop.

Recipe i'm playing around with is as follows. Water is filtered tap adjusted slightly.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.1 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.38 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.037
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.68%
IBU (tinseth): 32.05
SRM (morey): 5.11

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - American - Pale Ale (60%)
3 lb - American - Red Wheat (30%)
1 lb - Flaked Oats (10%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.9, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 11.28
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.9, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 8.24
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.9, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.53
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.9, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.9, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 135 °F, IBU: 8
2 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.9, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 122 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 3.7 gal, protein rest
2) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, mash 1
3) Infusion, Temp: 167 F, Time: 10 min, mash out
4) Fly Sparge, Temp: 167 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 3.7 gal, sparge
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.7 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
6 oz - Rice Hulls, Time: 60 min, Type: Other, Use: Mash

YEAST:
The Yeast Bay - Vermont Ale
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 78.5%
Flocculation: Med/Low
Optimum Temp: 64 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 67 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile II
Ca2: 150
Mg2: 10
Na: 80
Cl: 150
SO4: 160
HCO3: 220

Love Nelson! I think your hop schedule as is, would be fine. If you wanted to make it slightly more Nelson-y you could remove the 15 minute addition and then get another 11 IBUs of bitterness by adding more to your whirlpool.

I myself made a single hop Nelson beer way back when I started brewing. But I used wayyy too much Crystal malt, and hadn't started adjusting water chemistry at that point. Maybe it's time to revisit it... ;)

Looks good. Nelson Sauvin is a nice hop selection...I've used it in a few brews as late editions, used with Palisade...the two always seemed to go good together to me.

Love to see an update of how it goes

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate you taking the time.

Down to 1.018 today (4/4/17) from 1.053 on 4/2/17 (I had a healthy 2L starter), added 1oz dry hop while fermentation is still finishing, will add a few more oz before transferring to keg and crashing. Maybe add a bit to the keg too, depending on how it tastes...

So far so good.

Looks good to get a good idea of the flavor. Nelson has such a distinct flavor - I make a rye IPA and pair it with southern cross from time to time.

A great commercial example to try is Nelson by Alpine Brewery/Green Flash Brewing.

Nelson is one of, if not, my favorite variety. I would double your final dry hop if you're feeling ballsy. FWIW my IPA just took gold at the world cup of beer and I used loads of nelson with just a touch of galaxy. I dry hopped with 5oz nelson and 1.5oz galaxy so I'd say up the dry hop to really make the amazing nelson aroma/flavor shine.

Nelson is one of, if not, my favorite variety. I would double your final dry hop if you're feeling ballsy. FWIW my IPA just took gold at the world cup of beer and I used loads of nelson with just a touch of galaxy. I dry hopped with 5oz nelson and 1.5oz galaxy so I'd say up the dry hop to really make the amazing nelson aroma/flavor shine.

Great input! I was curious how far I could go with dry hopping..seems like there's not too much a concern with going too far.

Just curious, where did you get your Nelson from? My LHBS wasn't able to get any through wherever he gets them, and I noticed a couple online retailers either don't have them or have them in limited quantities.

Just curious, where did you get your Nelson from? My LHBS wasn't able to get any through wherever he gets them, and I noticed a couple online retailers either don't have them or have them in limited quantities.

Online via Morebeer.com. They were one of the few at the time that had stock. This was in January 2017

Love nelson! And I second dragonlors suggestion. Alpine Nelson IPA is fing delicious in my opinion.

After trying to emulate it a few times I realized its the balance that makes it so good. Nelson is a potent hop and I can say I have over done it before.

Those beers were still great, but I prefer those which I have used it judiciously to those where I went balls out.

Experiment with it and have fun

Back