NEIPA with what I have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
I want to make a NEIPA, and I don't care if it is average, outstanding, or not-quite-the-right-hops. I just want to use what I have in my inventory, which I think I can, but I am not confident in this style at all and need some help. 3-5 gallons BIAB is my plan.
I have US 2-row, pilsner, flaked oats, white wheat malt, and some various specialty malts.
I have lots of Amarillo, Cascade, Sabro cryohops, a little Simcoe, and various English and bittering hops. I plan on using S-05. (I do have some Danstar London ESB and MJ Empire).
Suggestions? Half pilsner/half 2row? a pound and a half of both wheat and oats?
How might I follow the schedule for hop additions I see in recipes with what I have? (I don't care if it is not ethical to use a west coast hop in an east coast ale!)
I could guess, but I'd rather have some input.

I brew NEIPAs fairly often and I always use 2 row. You can go with 50/50 2 row and pilsner.
A pound each of flaked oats and white wheat.
As for hops I typically add about 20 ibu's at 60 min or FWH. If you have magnum, warrior or Columbus add enough to achieve 20 ibus. You can also use cascade here.
2.5 lb 2 row
2.5 lb Pilsner
.75 oz cascade @ 60
1 oz each cascade & Amarillo in whirlpool
1 oz each cascade, Amarillo and sabro dry hop.
I've never used Sabro but I would use it as a dry hop only.

Last edited:
Here is the recipe I posted on my facebook page 3 years ago: A pinch of malt ( remember it is a NEIPA ) , yeast: any bread baking yeast will do (remember , it is a NEIPA ) , 500 grams of maizena to get a perfect haze. Et voila .:)
NEIPA.jpg

@brew703 Thanks! That’s very helpful.
His recipe looks good.

For completion (3 gallon recipe?):
2.5 lb 2-row
2.5 lb Pilsner
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Wheat Malt
• [Optional]​
.75 oz Cascade @ 60
• Or another bittering hop to get around 20 IBU, like Warrior, Magnum. Columbus would be good too, may add a little dankness.​
1 oz each Cascade & Amarillo in whirlpool / hopstand
• 30' at 160-150F​
1 oz each Cascade, Amarillo and Sabro dry hop
• 3-5 days before packaging​
I've never used Sabro but I would use it as a dry hop only
• I've had a wonderful tasting Sabro NEIPA. Sabro has a pleasant, slightly resinous/marmalade-like, tangerine, coconut, tropical fruit flavor/aroma​

Notes:
  • Prevent any oxygen exposure after fermentation has started, especially when dry hopping and packaging, it kills the fresh hoppy flavor/aroma sensation that drives NEIPAs
  • No secondary!
  • You could dry hop toward the end of fermentation, say with 5-10 points to go.
  • Aim for an OG of 1.050-1.060.
  • Hazy is good!
  • Best off kegged, closed transfer into a 100% liquid pre-purged keg (100% filled with CO2). Lid remains on, transfer through liquid post/QD.

Here is the recipe I posted on my facebook page 3 years ago: A pinch of malt ( remember it is a NEIPA ) , yeast: any bread baking yeast will do (remember , it is a NEIPA ) , 500 grams of maizena to get a perfect haze. Et voila .:)

:eek:
This is :ban:. It's a joke, right?

Just finished making it
I made a 3 gallon batch, and since my efficiency is usually only 60% (BIAB, and I don’t worry about using a little bit more grains) I ended up using 5.5 pounds base malt. I used Brewsmith to dial in my numbers. I put in .5 oz magnum at 30 min, rather than trying to weigh out .25 for 60 minutes. I’ve heard about DMS and Pilsner with a short fermentation, so I decided to go all 2 row. For some reason I got great efficiency this time, closer to 70%, so this will be in the 8%abv category. I’m thinking about 2 sessions of dry hopping. 7 and 3 days. What do you think?
I rarely use a secondary. Tips on keeping hop matter out of the keg? My last pale ale was frustrating. I had to keep cleaning out the quick connect.

East Meets West NEIPA (unless someone else already used that name)
5.5 lbs US 2-row
1 lb white wheat malt
1 lb flaked oats
.5 oz magnum 30 min.
60 min. Mash 152 (start 153, temp went down to 147 over hour)
60 min boil
1 oz cascade WP 20min
1 oz Amarillo WP 20 min
S-05
Ferment 67 (because that is what my Scotch ale is fermenting at)
1 oz Cascade, dry hop near end of fermentation.
1 oz Amarillo, etc.
1/2 oz Sabro Cryohops , etc

My OG was 1.063

Maybe another dry hop 3 days before kegging.

Back