NEIPA - Save me from wasting a bunch of $$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewswithshoes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i'm taking the plunge into NEIPA/Hazy, and brewing the below. As there is a lot more cost in this brew hoping someone can eyeball this and provide some quick feedback.

upload_2019-3-19_18-3-55.png

I am planning to dry hop the Citra addition right at peak fermentation, then the Amarillo dry hop 3 days later.

I also have Simcoe &/or Mosaic, but not sure i want to mash up that many hop combos in my first try.

Please provide any feedback so i don't chuck a bunch of hop money down the drain.

I’m not a big hazy guy, in fact I just just posted in the “make ipa clear again” thread, but it looks like your actually coming up a little low on what I’ve seen others post.

To answer you question, buy a pound of each in bulk. Then brew a couple batches back to back. Otherwise, it’s just pricey.

Are you kegging or bottling?

If your bottling sorry but it’ll be a waste regardless.

10oz of acid malt is a ton! Twice as much as I’ve ever used.. Do you have a lot of alkalinity in your water?

1lb of c60 is way too much as well. You don’t need more than 2% of the total grain bill.

Don’t dry hop at high krausen or peak fermentation. It’s literally a complete waste of money and hops. If you want to dry hop during fermentation wait until the very, very end. And I would reverse it. Add the Amarillo at the end of fermentation and use the Citra after that cause I guarantee you your Citra is way better than your Amarillo.

Last edited:
I’m kegging this and will try not to introduce any oxygen during transfer. I’ve dropped the acidulated down to 6oz after I plugged everything into a water calc. Everything I’ve been reading indicates to me I want to be on the low end of the ph range for this.

If I can produce something I like, I will start buying these hops in bulk, but didn’t want to jump straight into multi pound purchase until I tried a batch.

Thanks for input. I’ll adjust the recipe up a bit more.

I’m kegging this and will try not to introduce any oxygen during transfer. I’ve dropped the acidulated down to 6oz after I plugged everything into a water calc. Everything I’ve been reading indicates to me I want to be on the low end of the ph range for this.

If I can produce something I like, I will start buying these hops in bulk, but didn’t want to jump straight into multi pound purchase until I tried a batch.

Thanks for input. I’ll adjust the recipe up a bit more.

I’d knock the crystal down as well. You really only need it for color. Only crystal malt I would think of adding that much of would be Carahell.

What’s your oxygen purging method for kegs? I’d recommend the one outlined on the low oxygen brewing website. If you want an incredibly aromatic beer you need to be so meticulous about even the tiniest bit of O2 exposure after dry hopping.

I’ve got the crystal down to about 8 oz now so I can keep some srm.

I think for transfer process I will be good on keeping out O2, but still reading about how to limit it when putting in dry hops. Best I can find so far is just be quick when opening and adding.

I’ll be using a Tilt so will be closely monitoring to do the first dry hop as active ferment is winding down.

Back