Neipa Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axeldog11

Reaction score
Ok so last year I brewed something similar to this recipe and it turned out amazing. I had to alter my recipe due to what my LHBS had on hand. I used wyeast #1318 last year but they were out so I'm trying out the White Labs WLP067 Coastal Haze Ale Blend. Anyone have any experience with this cause Im pretty nervous since i haven't seen much info on here on it?? Also any suggestions on my grain/hop schedule? I really need just an overall critique of my recipe. Thanks in advance!!

10 lbs 2 row
2 lbs wheat, flaked
1 lb oats, flaked
.5 lb honey malt

2.5 oz. cascade @ 10 min
1 oz citra @ 10 min

2 oz. mosaic @ whirlpool
1.5 oz cascade whirlpool
1.5 oz citra whirlpool

2 oz mosaic 7 day dry hop
1 oz citra @ 7 day
.5 oz centennial @ 7 day

1.5 oz centennial day 3 dry hop
1.25 citra day 3

Boil for 60 min
Mash at 149 for 60 min
est. OG 1.062
est. FG 1.014
55 IBU, ABV 6.3%

Recipe looks good. If you want more body bump your mash temp to 150-152. What temp are your adding your whirlpool hops? Are you adding any minerals to your water? Other than my questions just brew it! Would love to hear how it turns out.

Recipe looks good. If you want more body bump your mash temp to 150-152. What temp are your adding your whirlpool hops? Are you adding any minerals to your water? Other than my questions just brew it! Would love to hear how it turns out.

Ill bump up the mash temp. I was planning on adding the whirlpool hops at 165? Sound about right? And as for water, I haven't added anything yet to water when brewing, Ive been brewing for about 2 years but I still haven't dove into experimenting with water profiles. I plan on brewing this week so Ill keep ya updated! Thanks for the reply!

I’d honestly drop them in at 180 for 20 mins. You could layer the hops too. Half at 180 for 10 mins then half at 165 for 10 mins. Yea if you have the time to look into water chemistry check it out. You can definitely get the most out of your hops with just adding some gypsum and calcium chloride. I’d definitely get an understanding of it first before playing with it. Also it’s a lot easier to play with when using RO water. Yea keep posting.

Update on how the session went. The beer turned out perfect! Ended up with an OG of 1.010 and ABV 6.6%. Super clean and smooth, flavor and aroma is fruity, just not as much as I was anticipating. Ended up with 4 gal. in the keg instead of 5? I’m guessing it’s cause I didn’t use any hop bags when I dry hopped so I didn’t account for the hop absorption? Thoughts? Besides not getting the full 5 gal, it turned out perfect and can guarantee it’ll be tapped before I finish the next brew! Now the question is, what next?!

Here’s how it looks

Attachments

• AF81E7A6-8161-4350-8B84-6AB7B0F97D92.jpeg
    AF81E7A6-8161-4350-8B84-6AB7B0F97D92.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
If you are using BeerSmith just make a 6-6.5gal batch. Include your trub loss and hop absorption. Maybe add more dry hops and add more to the end of the boil. It’d be a good way to figure out what works for your nose and flavor. Beer looks hazy good.

Back