NEIPa - Mashing temperature vs Type of cereals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iuva

Reaction score
Hi guys I'd like to make this NEIPA shared by @maltyboy: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/658327/

I have some technical questions to ask before starting my batch.

-I have never used flakes. When should I add them to the mashing process? Which temperature?

-Same with wheat. Which temperature?

-Many people on this forum mention adding aromatic hops during whirlpool. If it's also your method, how long do you leave them inside? I learnt to put aromatic hops 5' before the end of boiling process but also read that it is not the right thing to do

Thanks a lot,

Regards

Last edited:
All flaked or otherwise, need to be mashed together with the rest of the grains at the exact same temperature. Depending on what you want to achieve, you want to mash between 64 and 69C ( 147F to 156F ). Higher for NEIPA is what most do, so that's a good start.

Whirlpool means the wort is not boiling anymore and you dropped the temperature down a few degrees. You add a big charge of hops and steep them for 15-30 minutes.

So you're saying that mashing temperature is the same for barley and wheat, right?

Last edited:
Here's @maltyboy 's answer to my question. It may help somebody else:

-I have never used flakes. When should I add them to the mashing process? Which temperature?
Add the entire lot at whatever your strike temperature is -- no need to treat them any different to your regular grains in these quantities.

-Same with wheat. Which temperature? AFAIK, "starching" temperature (sorry I'm not sure of the word, but I mean ideal temperature for enzymes is different according to the used cereal) for wheat and barley is not the same, so when do you mix both, if you do?
As above, mash-in everything together. The quantities of these grains isn't high enough to warrant doing an acid/protein rest mash step.

-Many people on this forum mentioned adding aromatic hops during whirlpool. If it's also your method, how long do you live them inside?
As per the recipe the majority of the "hot side" hops are at a whirlpool stage. In total I do a 20-30min whirlpool at ~80C (176F)

Back