NEIPA looks oxidized everytime, but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleybrew32

Reaction score
my NEIPAs have turned out brownish, they look oxidized but no cardboard flavors.
5 gallon batch

13lbs Viking pale malt
1lb wheat malt
8oz carapils
8oz rolled oats
1lb dextrose

hops i have been playing with are all at whirlpool and dry hop, same grain bill

1st one was ekuanot, Citra and Mosaic this one tasted great nice and juicy like they should be.
2nd one just kegged Ekuanot, falconers flight 7c and cascade not good combo for a NEIPA i will drink it until i can get another IPA in the pipeline.

just bummed that both of these are brownish in color, again i dont get any off flavors, I have had some that are oxidized and can pick up that wet cardboard flavor easily.
not sure if its the Viking pale malt. anyone else run into this with viking pale malt?

How is the hop presence?

Oxidation leading to cardboard flavors is mostly malt based, and relatively slow, it may take several days, even weeks before you notice.
Oxidation attacking hop flavor and aroma compounds works much faster, within hours to a couple days you start noticing hop sensation becoming dull, losing that in your face aroma.

Compare the hop sensation in your beer when it's fresh with a good NEIPA, either fresh from a tap or commercially canned at the brewery. Then again a few days to a week later.

Cardboard or sherry characters happen at the terminal state of oxidized beer.
Before that is loss of hop aroma, followed by loss of hop flavor, followed by a trend toward a sweeter character. THEN comes the rest of the horrors.
The browning starts right at the beginning as well - by the time the hop flavor is obviously deteriorating the color should be easily noticeable...

Cheers!

The most important question in troubleshooting this is what kind of fermenter you're using and what happens to the beer after fermentation?

Do you keg or bottle?
If you keg, do you just rack it into the open lid with a siphon?

The Viking Pale Ale malt is darker than your typical pale ale malts. Their Xtra Pale is more in line with American 2-row and would be a better choice for your purposes, IMO. Here is a photo of a tea made to compare the Viking Pale Ale to Halcyon. The Viking Pale Ale is the darker of the two.

Attachments

• Viking.JPG
    Viking.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
hop aroma on the first was great lasted until the keg kicked, had nice juicy tangerine and pineapple flavors. at the end i was just starting to notice some dankness coming in. probably the mosaic hops. it was one of my best NEIPA's to me.
the second one has grapefruit aroma and flavor but is bitter and it shouldnt be for a NEIPA which is what is bothering me, but the color is really bumming me out.
thanks for the comparison of the two malts. it might be my problem with the color.
does anyone use golden promise for NEIPA's? trying to get that bright orange color.

thanks for the replies
cheers

fwiw, I often use Golden Promise (it's one of my go-to base malts) for neipas.
I've also used Weyermann pils 50/50 with Breiss two row, and 100% Rahr two row.
The style is all about the hops so you can get away with all kinds of uber low L° base malts...

Cheers!

That does not look half bad to me. If someone sat that down in front of me I would not complain about the color!

How are you getting your fermented beer to your keg? Are you purging your keg of oxygen?
How active is your boil? A more aggressive boil can darken your wort.

Next brew go with Pils and either 2 row (1.8L) or golden promise as your base and add in flaked wheat/ flaked oats and oat malt. Oat malt will help with the haze. You can also add in a touch of honey malt depending on the color you are after.

I fill my keg with starsan to the gas tube purge the head space and push the starsan out with CO2.
i have a keg poppet hooked to my spigot, which i purge that hose with CO2 also and then open the valve and hit the head space of the fermentor with CO2 as it goes into the keg. im not a low oxygen brewer but try to limit it on my hoppy hazy beers.
both these i used Opshaug Kveik WLP518 yeast with a 1.5l starter, fermented at 90F cooled to 68F to dry hop then dropped 10 degrees everyday until i hit 33F. the beer has finished out in 3-4 days every time.
I also use a mylar balloon filled with CO2 on the airlock when i start to drop the temp.
thanks for the info from everyone so far.
cheers

Well, I brewed my same grain bill for my NEIPA, but used Breiss 2 row instead of the Viking malt. Same yeast, but different hops, Strata, Galaxy and Citra this time. Turned out the best I have brewed yet for a NEIPA.
The color is damn close to what I imagined.
Here is a picture of it.
20200829_164014.jpg

Back