neipa hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
I recently did a NEIPA and It came out decent (better than the past ones)
I did have a few thoughts on version 2.
Last I mashed at 149. This time I will mash at 155. I feel like i was missing some mouthfeel. Any thoughts on that?
Also I added half oz at flameout. of nelson I had not added any hops after that. For the next version I'm thinking of adding an oz with 5 min left in the boil. Will this make it more west coast? In the past any hops i have added during the boil just turns super bitter and turns it into a west coast. So I'm looking for a few thoughts on that.

My drop hop additions were 4 oz (2 of citra and 2 of nelson) once it started to ferment the next day and then i added 4 more oz two days before the keg. I was thinking of going from 4 to 6 to add a little more hoppyness.

You can see my recipe attached

Attachments

• neipa.png
    neipa.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • neipa-rec.PNG
    neipa-rec.PNG
    43 KB · Views: 29
I mash at 152 . You should look into doing a whirlpool. My hop additions are a 60 , 10 , 5 , fo and then whirlpool

I actually did a 20 min whirlpool at 180 for 20 minutes

I’d get rid of the Crystal 10 and boost the El Dorado. I love the flavors and aromas of that hop. Raising the mash temp would help. What’s your water profile like?

Agree with @Jag75 on the mash temp. i played around with mashing higher (155 - 156) on some NEIPAs and i could never get them to attenuate below 1.018 - 1.020 and that was with using Kveik yeast as well (too sweet for me). I've played around with upping the amt of oats in my recipe, and also focused on water additions to get the mouthfeel, and it's worked out great. 152 has been the perfect mash temp.

Your hop amounts seem fine and you'll get various opinions on when to add. I don't do any during the boil other than my initial 60 min hop shot. All the rest are at flameout/whirlpool/dry hop. Not sure if it makes a big difference, but i've been dropping my whirlpool addition temp to about 170 along with crashing to about 50 degrees before my final dry hop. I can't recall who on this board made that "partial crash" recommendation, but it has really helped to take out some of the hop burn/bite.

Good luck !!

I kind of think the crystal 10 gave it that nice orange haze That I got. Maybe I can drop it to half a lb

I don't do any water adjustments. I filter my tap water with a rv filter

I’d get rid of the Crystal 10 and boost the El Dorado. I love the flavors and aromas of that hop. Raising the mash temp would help. What’s your water profile like?

Back