NEIPA Hop Combination/Ratio Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPaiv12

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input on a recipe I am crafting for my next brew day. I have read about a lot about different hop combinations for NEIPAs, which has led me to go with a Citra, El Dorado, and Mosaic. I have used these hops in the past, just not this combination. My question is what you do for hopping ratios? The general answer I have read is "trial and error." I'm just looking to see what other people have experienced as a starting point.

I am not doing any boil additions.

Whirlpool @120 for 20 min
2oz Citra
1oz El Dorado
1oz Mosaic

Dry Hop 3 days
1oz Citra
1oz El Dorado
1oz Mosaic

Dry Hop 7 days
1oz Citra
1oz El Dorado

This will only be the second NEIPA I have attempted.

Thank you in advance!

Personally I would just throw those hops in at flameout so that you get at least a touch of bitterness (5 gallon cools so fast anyways that it won't be much, but still something).

I also prefer skipping the day 3 dry hop and just loading up at the day 7.

I would also just split the entire charge between the 3 hops. They all blend exceptionally well at even ratio.

Just do 2oz of each at day 7 and I think you'll be pretty pleased with the results

I'm looking for some input on a recipe I am crafting for my next brew day. I have read about a lot about different hop combinations for NEIPAs, which has led me to go with a Citra, El Dorado, and Mosaic. I have used these hops in the past, just not this combination. My question is what you do for hopping ratios? The general answer I have read is "trial and error." I'm just looking to see what other people have experienced as a starting point.

I am not doing any boil additions.

Whirlpool @120 for 20 min
2oz Citra
1oz El Dorado
1oz Mosaic

Dry Hop 3 days
1oz Citra
1oz El Dorado
1oz Mosaic

Dry Hop 7 days
1oz Citra
1oz El Dorado

This will only be the second NEIPA I have attempted.

Thank you in advance!
Nothing wrong with what you have going but I’ll give you what I would do based on your hops.

1st - I up your whirlpool temp and time to 160/150 and for 1 hour. Since you’re not using any boil additions, this will help you pick up some IBU. Though NEIPAS Tend not to be bitter, you still want some IBUs to cut the the sweetness and to protect your beer from any infections. This will also give you a richer citra flavor and mosaic will show its slightly dank character in the whirlpool, so you’ll add some depth.

2nd- I’d move all the el dorado to the dryhop. In my experience el dorado gets lost on the hot side and doesn’t provide much in terms of its characteristics. Dryhoping seems to showcase el dorado much better.

3rd - I’d move the dryhops back some days. None of the hops you’re using have been shown to have a much bio transformation properties, so IMO the closer to your kegging or bottling date is better. I like to do my first dryhop 5 days before packing and my second with 72-48 hours before packing. This has always provided the best aroma in flavor for me.

Again this is all personal preference, but it does come from 30+ NEIPA brews of experience. Also you can review this thread. Lots of great info here on the style. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/

Nothing wrong with what you have going but I’ll give you what I would do based on your hops.

1st - I up your whirlpool temp and time to 160/150 and for 1 hour.

I have never whirlpooled for that long, I find that really interesting. What have you found the benefits to be?

I have never whirlpooled for that long, I find that really interesting. What have you found the benefits to be?
Absolutely. Hop extraction is a correlation between time and temp. Hotter the temp the quicker the extraction. So as temp starts to fall below boiling temps the longer you will need to extract the various flavor compounds.

The extended time will increase your extraction and depth of flavors

Absolutely. Hop extraction is a correlation between time and temp. Hotter the temp the quicker the extraction. So as temp starts to fall below boiling temps the longer you will need to extract the various flavor compounds.

That seems pretty logical to me haha. This is also my first time lowering my whirpool temp and I didn't think to increase the duration. I'm going to have to make some tweaks to my recipe.

I agree with you upping the temp of the whirlpool. I tend to drop my whirlpool hops in at 160. But an hour? I've never heard of such a long whirlpool. I have seen 20-30 min before, but nothing longer than that. Personally, I'm not a patient person, so I tend to drop my hops in around 160 and continue to cool. I'm usually under 100 in less than 5 minutes with my IC. I wonder if I'm missing out on some hop goodness. I guess I should experiment. (I'm also interested in trying cryo soon.)

Back