NEIPA and Pectin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
So i know some places add apple puree to their boil which has develops pectin which in turn can help with body and haze (possibly). Has anyone ever experimented with actual pectin powder versus using apple puree? or even strawberry - I know people are making jam out there with only sugar and strawberry and no added pectin b/c strawberry has enough natural pectin to gelatinize.

So i know some places add apple puree to their boil which has develops pectin which in turn can help with body and haze (possibly). Has anyone ever experimented with actual pectin powder versus using apple puree? or even strawberry - I know people are making jam out there with only sugar and strawberry and no added pectin b/c strawberry has enough natural pectin to gelatinize.
This is what people though brewers were doing. The whole rurmor came from Tired Hands Milkshake ipa recipe. To save you a lot of trouble, you’ll find everything you need on Brewing the style here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-258#post-8724379

This is pretty much the only conversation I could find on the matter on the internet. There is little discussion on pectin powder outside of making gelatin. Not even sure if it's looked down upon or not kosher to quality brewing because there is that little amount of conversation about it. Don't really care, because neither are NEIPAs to begin with. There's a few discussions on apple puree, which I've tried, got hazier results compared to using no form of pectin, but apple purees are expensive, and I've had the haze stick around and also drop out eventually on another batch. Was able to pick up a 50lb bag of powder locally for the same price as one dose of apple puree. I've spoken with a few brewers, commercial and not, who use pectin powder with great results. Figured I'd share some results as of cold crashing.

Used some fruit pectin powder in a hazy IPA with Bru-1 and Waimea hops WP and DH. This is a beer I've made before with better feedback than most brews I've ever made, but the haze drops out. I'd like it hazy, juicy, bright yellow. Adjusted mash pH with some lactic acid. Added pectin powder @ 5 min. 1# / 7gal. Post boil pH was 3.6, which was super concerning. Thought it was a dumper. Even bought some grapefruit to add to salvage a very good tasting, but tart, brew. Could easily pass as a sour or fruit IPA lol. Tasted more tart than my 3.3 pH kettle sours. Let it ride for primary, DH1 at terminal, DH2 2 days after soft crash to 55deg. First time experimenting with soft crash too, so there's another variable at play. Let it ride for 4 days. pH is up to 4 and I'll be damned if it isn't one of the best juicy hazy IPAs I've ever made. Now I have some amoretti grapefruit that needs purpose. Next time I plan on keeping everything the same, lactic acid and all, just halving the pectin powder addition. If that yields sketchy initial results again, I'll skip the LA and hit it with the pectin powder.

Tl:dr - it will play a significant role in lowering your pH, so plan accordingly. Even when I add fruit to beers, it never causes this significant of a pH drop. Probably overlooked the ratio, but it turned out incredible. Dryhops helped raise pH from concerning levels.

Interesting. Why so much acid? Is that to counter something about the pectin? Or were you just looking for extra tart?
fwiw, I don't see any need for pectin, or wheat flour, or any similar ingredient to a hazy, when I can pour this 8-9 months post brew...

juicy_bits_18jan2024.jpg

Cheers!

Back