Negra Modelo Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84242

Not my recipe, but this post from the northern brewer forum looks like a good recipe...

per PalCabral
Near perfect Negra Modelo clone
Fellow brewers.

It was many years ago I visited Mexico and found that they actually did have some good beers there. Bohemia and Negra Modelo became the big favorites of mine, perfect beer with mexican food, IMO. I know there are some debate among beer lovers if it is a beer to look down on or to like. For me, it's not in my top 10 favorites but nevertheless it's a beer I wish I could drink on a regular basis. However, where I live Negra Modelo is unfortunately not available. So the idea of making a clone was born.

A year ago I made an clone attempt based on memory collection, and bits and pieces found on the internet. It was awesome. I called it El Chepultepec Oscura since I couldn't compare it with the real thing and assess if it was a clone or not. This fall I brewed again, tweaked the recipe a little based on some notes I'd made from the first attempt, and it came out just fine.

As it happened, this x-mas I came across a shop in Vigo, Galicia, where they sold Negra Modelo. Of course I brought with me back a few of them and sat down the other night to make a first side-by-side test of my Oscura and the real thing: it knocked me off my feet! I know even side-by-side's can play tricks on you but this was scary close:

Appearance: spot on - identical
Aroma: Mine, since it was competely fresh (which I doubt the NM was) had more aroma, but the aroma practically speaking identical
Taste: Almost identical
Mouthfeel: mine was slightly more full in body than NM

So for those who are interested, here is a recipe that is a near perfect Negra Modelo clone. Sorry about units all being metric and celcius, but if this is up your alley I am sure you will be able to convert it. Cheers!

Name: Enskede Oscura
Type: Vienna, mexican style
Volume: 20 liter
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.0%
IBU: 28
EBC: 33
Brewhouse efficiency: 75%

45% - 2000gr German Vienna malt - 7 EBC
41% - 1800gr German Pilsner malt - 3 EBC
3,5% - 160gr CaraMunich malt - 100 EBC