Need your help with upgrade questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
I will soon be getting a keg and will do the conversion to turn it into a keggle.

the questions I have are these:

1. what is a good burner to use with a keggle?
2. what do most people use to ferment 10 gal batches in (2 5gal. buckets)?
3. what mods should I do to the keggle (ie. sight glass, thermometer ect...)?

thanks

I didn't bother with a sight glass but I can see where it could come in handy. I just didnt want to mess around with cleaning it. I would do a thermometer and a drain. I mounted my thermometer low because I still do 5 gallon batches too.

kegs.jpg

Depends on if you think you'll move to a 3 keggle setup. Sight gagues are best on HLTs. Thermometers on mash tuns and HLTs. Your boil kettle could have neither. Right now I only have one keggle set up, so I have everything installed on it...

I got a banjo burner and a high pressure regulator and am really happy with it.

You could ferment in 2 5 gallon carboys or do a sanke keg fermenter conversion. The latter costs some cash, and I'd imagine that by this point you have some carboys lying around so...

Keggel has only a ball valve + dip tube
HLT has thermometer and ball valve (thinking of adding sight tube so i can elevate it higher)
I use a cooler for a MLT

I ferment 10gal batches in a keg :D Cannot remember the link at the moment, but a couple people make a part that triclamps onto the hole in the top of the sanke (once you remove it's guts) It has a thermowell siphon tube, and one of them has a ball lock adapter on it, so you can rack with about 2PSI of pressure.

thanks for the replies! So the only thing I should do to my keggle is to add a ball valve. Cool thanks for the input.

So how about the burner? What one (model #) would you recommend and should I do any mods to it?

thanks for the replies! So the only thing I should do to my keggle is to add a ball valve. Cool thanks for the input.

and a dip tube. You want to be able to pull out more wort, than the level of the ball valve, the dip tube will give you a siphon to pull out the last gallon or so.

check out bargainfittings.com, he has EVERYTHING you need to convert a keggel, HLT and MLT

For a burner setup look for one with a banjo burner and a decent sized stand. This one would work for 10g
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
This would have more BTU's but be much heavier
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Look around and then use the search engine here to see debates on each burner.
I have the kab4 and like I said it's very heavy but it does the job, there can be issues with turning it up too high and tripping the safety valve on the propane tank,the smaller one does not seem to do this.
If you see a fryer setup with these kind of burners
bcbg10_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg

they are loud and have long flames, which are both disadvantages IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back