Need to make split second decision to rack or not - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a bout half an hour to decide whether I want to rack this before I have to leave my beer until I can return next week for bottling, and I'm torn. It's the brewer's best holiday ale. FG is right where it should be. Taste isn't great.. it's got a weird bitterness, and not a good hop bitterness. It's been in primary for 2 weeks today. Lots of the spices from the boil are floating up top. During fermentation I had some krauesen in the airlock. I'm wary of this better bottle because it smells super chemically (breand new). Hoping someone can help this indecisive brewer out pretty quickly here.

I bottled this same kit yesterday, 3 weeks in Primary and 1 secondary. I hope this helps.

Mine taste exactly how you describe but I can taste taste the Spices it has sort of a bitter finish not to bad at all tho.

I bottled this same kit yesterday, 3 weeks in Primary and 1 secondary. I hope this helps.

Mine taste exactly how you describe but I can taste taste the Spices it has sort of a bitter finish not to bad at all tho.

Thanks for the info. I did end up racking to secondary and unfortunately failing miserably :( Cautionary tale forthcoming in beginners forum.

yeah.. I just read your story. don't forget to breath when making beer you can get a lack of the oxygen you need to the brain.

I'm sure everything will be fine in the end.

yeah.. I just read your story. don't forget to breath when making beer you can get a lack of the oxygen you need to the brain.

I'm sure everything will be fine in the end.

Classic case of over-thinking and thus missing the obvious.

Since it's only been in primary for 2 weeks,I'd leave it till you get back next week to try & clean up/settle out more. It should improve by then.

Latest posts

Back