Need to make hops adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsruther

Reaction score
I want to make the same cream ale kit that we did on our first batch. This will be our fifth batch of beer so far. It's a really good brew but, it's slightly hoppier than what I like and WAY hoppier than what the wife likes. It says in the instructions that it's a 16 IBU beer but, I gotta disagree with that. The instuctions say to bag the bittering hops but, to toss the finishing hops right in. The flavor I'm getting doesn't taste like it's coming from the bittering. If I bag the finishing hops will it tone down the hoppy flavor?
Here's the kit ingredients:

Original Gravity: 1.045
16 IBUs

5 lbs. Canadian light syrup Sanitizer powder
0.25 lbs. Carafoam
1 lb. Corn Sugar
1 oz Hallertau Hops (bittering)
0.5 oz. Liberty Hops (finishing)
1 packet of Nottingham Ale yeast

I want to make the same cream ale kit that we did on our first batch. This will be our fifth batch of beer so far. It's a really good brew but, it's slightly hoppier than what I like and WAY hoppier than what the wife likes. It says in the instructions that it's a 16 IBU beer but, I gotta disagree with that. The instuctions say to bag the bittering hops but, to toss the finishing hops right in. The flavor I'm getting doesn't taste like it's coming from the bittering. If I bag the finishing hops will it tone down the hoppy flavor?
Here's the kit ingredients:

Original Gravity: 1.045
16 IBUs

5 lbs. Canadian light syrup Sanitizer powder
0.25 lbs. Carafoam
1 lb. Corn Sugar
1 oz Hallertau Hops (bittering)
0.5 oz. Liberty Hops (finishing)
1 packet of Nottingham Ale yeast

Just use less hops. Try 3/4 oz for bittering and 1/4 oz for finishing and see how that works.

If the beer is too bitter, check the AA% of your Hallertau. They can vary from 2% to 8%. Too hoppy, just use less finishing hops. Bagging won't make any difference.

Latest posts

Back