Need to hold back flames on KAB5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
Ok so I have the KAB5 banjo burner, I think with a 15psi regulator.

the issue I have is that my brewpot is almost too narrow. Even if I adjust the air to gas mix and dial back the gas a bunch, I usually have flames licking up the side of my pot, and i'm afraid I'll crack the thermometer glass and/or completely melt the plastic on the drain valve handle.

Would it be safe to get something like a square of sheet metal and put that between the pot and the flame, to protect the pot and prevent soot buildup?

Or am I asking for trouble?

Of course the real solution is to get a keggle with a drain valve...someday.

Just loosely crunch a piece of foil around both the valve and the thermometer to form a shield below them, it will deflect the heat away during the boil.

I certainly wouldn't adjust for a sooty flame, under any circumstances.

even the blichmann comes with a rectangular piece of sheet metal to put between the brew pot and burner stand, to stick out under the thermo and valve. should be pretty cheap to pick up a small piece of sheet metal; or find a piece of scrap at a shop.

Latest posts

Back