Need to fix busted coolant line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMH5

Reaction score
Does anyone know a refrigerator repair guy/company that can fix a busted coolant line? I live in MA, south shore. I can bring fridge to guy/company if need be.

I know, I know, it's expensive not worth it but I need to get this one fixed so if anyone has EVER done this please let me know!

Eric

Not in your area, but I thought I'd chime in and see if I can help you figure out of it's worth it...part of it will depend on where the line is busted. I know I accidentally cut a line in the top of a mini-fridge. To me, it's not worth fixing, especially as there is no way to easily refill it. If it's inside the walls, just chuck it. If it's on the outside of the walls, it might be salvageable. Still probably going to cost more to fix than it's worth. I found a guy close to me who had a leaky (full-size) fridge that he repaired, so I asked him if he'd be willing to see about trying to locate the leak in my mini-fridge and repair it. He's agreed to do so and I'm not going to harass him, since he's not going to charge me. :)
Point being, maybe see if there's a DIY-er in your area who's familiar with A/C and refrigerators. :) Maybe they can help. :)

Can you post a photo of the damaged refrigerant line? Does this fridge have any refrigerant access fittings? If not, access fittings would need to be brazed into the system's discharge and suction lines to allow for evacuation and charging with refrigerant after repairing the damaged line.

Can you post a photo of the damaged refrigerant line? Does this fridge have any refrigerant access fittings? If not, access fittings would need to be brazed into the system's discharge and suction lines to allow for evacuation and charging with refrigerant after repairing the damaged line.

I'm learning a lot about what needs to be done!
Yeah- I cut a line so they need to blow out the line, change the filter, recharge the line then braze/soft solder the line closed.

image.jpg

I'm learning a lot about what needs to be done!
Yeah- I cut a line so they need to blow out the line, change the filter, recharge the line then braze/soft solder the line closed.

Yeah.... I wouldn't bother. I'd just go get another mini-fridge and chalk it up to experience.

Unless you can get someone to do it for free, absolutely not worth what it will cost to fix that. The tubing is aluminum, which requires a bit more care to solder/braze, and you'd have to rip the top apart to expose the tubing enough to make the repair. Not to mention dealing with an 800 degree flame wanting to ignite all the foam insulation. I'm sure that fridge doesn't have access fitting either, which must also be dealt with. Sorry for the bad news.

Back