Need to Boil LME for a Certain Length of Time? Color Changes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighGravity

Reaction score
Hi, I just started boiling my wort 18 minutes ago to start an all-extract batch. I'm using up my Coopers kits, figured I paid for them so go for it. I don't understand why recipes call for boiling a bulk Liquid Malt Extract for an hour, whereas Coopers doesn't need to be boiled at all?

So what I am doing for Coopers IPA and Lager is a 1 hour boil of the 4.5 cups ale LME plus 2 oz finishing Mt Hood hops (IPA), and one hour boil for 2 cups pale LME/2 cups Indian sugar (Lager). Then simply warm up each coopers can and pour in primary.

Is it needed to boil for 1 hour though? I only have 1 one gallon pot and its getting late...

Won't the pale LME become darker?

Thanks a bunch!

you're right on most things in there.

Boiling extract will cause it to darken a bit.

Most recipes call for a 60 minute boil because there is typically a hop addition that needs to be boiled for that long.

I've heard of people not boiling extract at all, but I'd boil it for sanitation reasons. However, it is not uncommon for people to conduct their boils with only a portion of the extract added at the start and then they add the rest near the end. This avoids the darkening problem, sanitizes, and doesn't mess up hop utilization by having an extremely thick wort.

Back