Need Summer Wheat Recipe Advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattxhand

Reaction score
Overview:
I am attempting to concoct a light, summery wheat with light honey and lemon notes. This will be my first batch by myself. This the shell of a recipe built from a few others I have found. I will be doing this in an apartment on a basic setup. Goal is to yeild 5 gallons. I need some advising and criticism.

Expected Yeild: 5 gals

Fermentables:
6 lbs. Wheat LME
1.9 lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME
1 lb Honey

Additionals:
8 oz Briess Carapils (for enhanced body and mouthfeel)

Hops:
Bittering- 1 oz Galena pellets
Aroma- 1 oz Styrian Goldings

Flavors:
2 oz Pure Lemon Extract OR 1 oz Lemon Peels
1 tbps Coriander

Yeast:
?

Bottling:
Corn sugar

1) Bring 6? gallons of spring water to 155 degrees F. Steep Carapils for 15-30 minutes. Remove grains.

2) Remove pot from burner and stir in wheat LME and pilsen LME.

3) Return to burner and bring to a boil.

4) Once boiling, add Galena bittering hops and start timer for 60 minutes.

5) After 30 minutes, remove from burner, stir in honey then return to burner and continue boiling.

6) After 20 more minutes (50 minutes total boil), add Goldings hops and lemon peels.

7) During the last minute of boiling, add coriander.

8) Remove from burner and chill wort

9) Strain

10...) etc.

Questions:
Are the amounts and types of hops a good choice? I don't want something overly hoppy, but I don't want to neglect it either.

Are the fermentables good as well? I don't want a huge honey taste, but rather just a hint.

Same question and feelings with the lemon :) I am also leaning more towards using the peels of the extract.

What type of yeast should I use?

Is a secondary a good idea?

What should I expect from this brew?

Consider using sorachi ace hops, if you can get them. They give a distinct lemon aroma.

I'd also consider dropping the coriander. That could easily overwhelm the other flavors you're shooting for.

You can really use any clean yeast here. American wheat would be good, but even us-05 would be fine, since you just want a clean ferment.

I like my summer wheats dry, so I use Nottingham and usually go from 1.050 to about 1.007 or so.

I would not boil the honey, but add it after the boil once the temp has gotten below 120-F... boiling will only drive off the honey flavors. 1# for a 5 gal batch should be a nice subtle honey flavor... that is what I usually use.

I've never tried the lemon peel (or better yet, lemon zest), nor the Sorachi Ace hops .... but like both ideas. Not sure about the corriander .. guess its a matter of taste.. could be good..

You shouldn't need to secondary. Wheats are good fresh & young. I'd also keep your total IBU's light ... mid-to-high teens. Cold-crash a few days prior to bottling/kegging to clear and carbonate to a moderate level.. 2.6 vols of CO2.

Dang, sounding tasty! Going to have to brew one of these soon! :)
--LexusChris

Back