Need suggestions for substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Token

Reaction score
I'm brewing a mild ale but need a couple substitutions. Recipe calls for 5 oz choc malt and 4 oz torrified wheat. I'd prefer to stick to the original recipe for first time through, but I can't justify the shipping to order what would end up being 2 pounds of grains (have to order a pound of each).

I've got choc rye and can get flaked wheat. Would they sub out ok, or should I look around for the real deal. I kinda thought the guy who gave me the recipe said I could sub victory for the torrified wheat (I do have victory), but not sure that's what he said. He's out of town, so I can't call him.

Thanks for the help! :)

sigh... Ok off the top of my head.....

6 lb 2 row
14 oz C-40
5 oz choc malt
4 oz torrified wheat
fuggles
any English yeast.

It sounds like it would work. Chocolate Rye actually sounds like it would bring something interesting to the table. Torrified wheat and flaked wheat are somewhat interchangeable, but torrified gives you a slightly toasty character that you wont get with flaked. If you are wanting that type of flavor than you can go with victory instead.

Whats the lovibond of the chocolate rye?

Back