Need substitutes for a couple of ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard5289

Reaction score
Morning Everyone,

I stumbled upon a partial-mash recipe for an Irish Draught Ale while searching the internet for my next homebrew project. I like the ingredients that are listed and think it will make a pretty tasty social beer, but my LHBS does not carry a couple of the ingredients. These two ingredients are English based and I am looking for an American Alternative. Not looking for exact match replacement just something close that my LHBS has in stock so I don't have to order some of the ingredients online. Kinda want to brew this up this weekend if possible.

Here are the english malts that I need american substitutes for...
.50 lb Simpson's Caramalt (30-37° L)
.25 lb Simpson's Golden Naked Oats (10° L)

The rest of the Speciality Grains and Fermentables on the recipe my LHBS has. Its just these two that they don't carry.

Any help from the experts out there would be greatly appreciated by this little HB from Minnesota... :)

Thanks
Redbeard5289

I'd guess that you're looking for some Crystal 40 and some Flaked Oats. Any good lhbs should have both.

Thanks ohiobrewtus for responding.

I was thinking the same ingredients but wanted to get someone else's opinion.
Sorry for being so scatter-brained with my posting. Its been one of those weeks and I am just looking to brew some good beer this weekend.

Thanks again ohiobrewtus for your help!

Redbeard5289

Back