Need someone to shed some light on what may have gone wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
Ok, I know this is probably going to be one of those posts where the answer is going to be "I need more specific info to advise" but here we go. I will list my perceived mistakes, but bottom line I cannot describe the taste or smell, except maybe being bitter, but I do not really feel like that is a good description.
I made an ale which, after 7 days in primary, I racked into secondary onto 5 lbs of frozen strawberries I had bought at the store in the frozen section. I did not pastuerize or use any type of Starsan bath- just straight frozen into secondary. This is my first concern of oxidation of beer. When racking, the tube connected to my autosiphon was not very tight and nearly half of the beer which was racked had a bubbling affect as it ran past the connection. I believe this exposed it t unwanted oxygen.
Beer stayed in secondary for 3 weeks without being bothered when girlfriend's son accidentally broke the spigot at the bottom of the bucket, resulting in an emergency racking into keg, which again, since it was an unplanned event before work, resulted in much more exposure to oxygen than would have occurred had it been planned, and much more trub being entered into keg and unfortunately, a lot less beer than first planned.
I did not notice any weirdness about the strawberries after removing the beer, other than some discoloration (which I heard happens).
Finally, I cold crashed with gelatin overnight and proceeded to force carb with shake/30psi method for a day, only to discover my regulator on my kegerator is busted and so it was simply a "gas and guess" situation. Finally pulled some samples and it simply does not taste drinkable. Not sour, not bitter like lemon. Just odd. I plan on dumping but wanted to get suggestions on what went wrong and if time may cure it (which I find hard to believe).....

You don't mention how long it was in the keg before trying it but if you're able do, I'd give it a month to sit and see if it's gotten any better. Depending on the style, if it's still undrinkable at that point, then I'd consider dumping it.

That's a series of unfortunate events! You didn't mention if it was all grain or extract. If it's extract, you could have some caramelized sugars compounded by too much oxygen exposure. Either way, some time sitting alone in the corner to think about its ways would benefit. It would do good for the beer too.

You mention the flavor is "odd"...can you describe it better? Medicinal, sour, what have you? That would give a better idea of what may have potentially gone wrong. Oxidation has a definite "wet cardboard" flavor/smell.

You mention the flavor is "odd"...can you describe it better? Medicinal, sour, what have you? That would give a better idea of what may have potentially gone wrong. Oxidation has a definite "wet cardboard" flavor/smell.
I think you may have nailed in on the head (wet cardboard). Seeing that I do not have a replacement ready to keg just yet, I am going to sit on it. I have tasted it every day and corrected the regulator issue and while not where I want it, I have to admit it does taste better than the first try.

A cheap hose clamp from the hardware store will solve your loose seal on the auto siphon.

Wet cardboard is oxidation and judging by the " mistakes " you've made, it might simply be that. An infection could also be the case, seeing you did not sanitize the fruit, but if wet cardboard is the flavour you are picking up, then it is oxidation. See it through, is probably the most reasonable thing to do. If it is not good in the end... you'll/we'll do better next time. :yes:

The beer has an offputting bitterness and there were all those bubbles so O2 must have caused it. Oxidation is claimed to cause a wet cardboard flavor so that bitterness seems like it is actually a wet cardboard flavor (who knows what wet cardboard actually tastes like though). Since the bitterness tastes like wet cardboard your beer must be oxidized since everybody says oxidized beer tastes like wet cardboard.

Circular logic?

I would think the strawberries could also be a strong candidate for providing the bitterness.

The beer has an offputting bitterness and there were all those bubbles so O2 must have caused it. Oxidation is claimed to cause a wet cardboard flavor so that bitterness seems like it is actually a wet cardboard flavor (who knows what wet cardboard actually tastes like though). Since the bitterness tastes like wet cardboard your beer must be oxidized since everybody says oxidized beer tastes like wet cardboard.

Circular logic?

I would think the strawberries could also be a strong candidate for providing the bitterness.
None of that post is coherent.

Oxidation is likely the correct answer.

One question or thought ...
Gelatin and cold crash over night
THEN
Force carbed by shake and roll the following day?

Sounds like you started the clearing process then agitated any settled yeast and trub back into the beer.

Could it be just the yeast you are tasting?
Yeast can be biting and sharp in taste.

Back