Need some opinions on my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refect

Reaction score
Just put together a boarder line apa/ipa recipe with a 50/50 duo of galaxy and citra. I wanted to keep the IBU's between 50-60. I decided to use amarillo for first wort addition, because I was using it before I made some changes and leaving it as the bittering seemed to keep my IBU's where I want them.

The idea is to get something with a crisp bitterness that won't punch you in the face. Something very crushable. For flavor and aroma I am hoping to get a nice citrusy, tropical fruity flavor/aroma that is a little juicy with slight carmel/biscuity malt flavor creeping in the background. I added some sweet orange peel and coriander, which I assume will get overpowered by the hops, but hopefully ad some complexity, and give it a little something extra. Hopefully will be able to brew it up soon with all the crazyness going on, but wanted to get some thought and opinions before I did.

Grain Bill:
9.5 Lbs - Pale 2 Row
1.75 Lbs - Munich (6.5L)
.25 Lbs - Crystal (60L)

.75 oz - Amarillo (First Wort)
.25 - Citra (10 min)
.25 - Galaxy (10 min)
1 oz - Sweet Orange Peel (10 min)
.5 oz - Crushed Coriander (10 min)
1 oz - Citra (Hop stand at 175 for 30 min)
1 oz - Galaxy (Hop stand at 175 for 30 min)
1 oz - Citra (Dry Hop 3 days into fermentation and leave until complete)
1 oz - Galaxy (Dry hop 3 days into fermentation and leave until complete)

Ferment 10 days total and keg/bottle

Just put together a boarder line apa/ipa recipe with a 50/50 duo of galaxy and citra. I wanted to keep the IBU's between 50-60. I decided to use amarillo for first wort addition, because I was using it before I made some changes and leaving it as the bittering seemed to keep my IBU's where I want them.

The idea is to get something with a crisp bitterness that won't punch you in the face. Something very crushable. For flavor and aroma I am hoping to get a nice citrusy, tropical fruity flavor/aroma that is a little juicy with slight carmel/biscuity malt flavor creeping in the background. I added some sweet orange peel and coriander, which I assume will get overpowered by the hops, but hopefully ad some complexity, and give it a little something extra. Hopefully will be able to brew it up soon with all the crazyness going on, but wanted to get some thought and opinions before I did.

Grain Bill:
9.5 Lbs - Pale 2 Row
1.75 Lbs - Munich (6.5L)
.25 Lbs - Crystal (60L)

.25 - Citra (10 min)
.25 - Galaxy (10 min)

My only questions would be;

why are you choosing coriander? What is the goal using it?

Also I feel if you’re using orange peel you’re looking for orange flavors.. if that’s the case I would switch the galaxy out for a more orange forward hop like Mandarina, Amarillo, Apollo and then add the peel. You’ll get a greater orange citrus profile this way.

IMHO if your going to use galaxy in a hop bill, you want it to present its passionfruit profile.

My only questions would be;

why are you choosing coriander? What is the goal using it?

Also I feel if you’re using orange peel you’re looking for orange flavors.. if that’s the case I would switch the galaxy out for a more orange forward hop like Mandarina, Amarillo, Apollo and then add the peel. You’ll get a greater orange citrus profile this way.

IMHO if your going to use galaxy in a hop bill, you want it to present its passionfruit profile.

I don't want it to be mainly citrusy. I really like the flavor galaxy gives and was hoping the oranage peel and coriander would compliment it with the citrusy/spicey notes. Maybe give it something that makes you say "there is something else in here that I can't quite figure out, but it is good." If that makes sense?

I don't want it to be mainly citrusy. I really like the flavor galaxy gives and was hoping the oranage peel and coriander would compliment it with the citrusy/spicey notes. Maybe give it something that makes you say "there is something else in here that I can't quite figure out, but it is good." If that makes sense?
Alright gotcha. Everyone has the style they brew and like certain flavor profile they like. It sounds more to me like you combining a Belgian white with a pale ale featuring more tropical hops. Coriander is the only ingredient I could see not fitting so well with the higher bitterness since it will add its own bitterness

Alright gotcha. Everyone has the style they brew and like certain flavor profile they like. It sounds more to me like you combining a Belgian white with a pale ale featuring more tropical hops. Coriander is the only ingredient I could see not fitting so well with the higher bitterness since it will add its own bitterness

That is exactly what I was thinking of when I put this together. Maybe I will just leave the orange peel in and take the corriander out just in case it has the opposite effect of what I am trying to achieve. I can always brew up a one gallon batch of this with corriander later on down the road to see how it blends if everything turns out well with the orange peel.

That is exactly what I was thinking of when I put this together. Maybe I will just leave the orange peel in and take the corriander out just in case it has the opposite effect of what I am trying to achieve. I can always brew up a one gallon batch of this with corriander later on down the road to see how it blends if everything turns out well with the orange peel.
Could always make a tincture of the orange peel by itself and then orange peel and coriander. Keg the beer (or just bottle two beers at the end of ferm) taste the beer by itself and then with each tincture and see which you prefer. Then add it to the keg or then bottle.

read an interesting thread here on HBT where the former head brewer of Blue Moon posted that they used to use Valencia orange peels. ..
I've only used bitter orange peel in my Christmas ale, but I did taste the stone Tangerine Express IPA last week.
I believe they use natural fruit flavoring in that beer based on the label. Have you tried that beer?

read an interesting thread here on HBT where the former head brewer of Blue Moon posted that they used to use Valencia orange peels. ..
I've only used bitter orange peel in my Christmas ale, but I did taste the stone Tangerine Express IPA last week.
I believe they use natural fruit flavoring in that beer based on the label. Have you tried that beer?

I have not tried that beer, but I do remember drinking an IPA that had orange in it. I remember it being pretty good too. Can't remember what it was. It might have been a small batch experiment from one of the local breweries that was given to me.

@Degallo.i might have to try out what you recommended to see how it tastes once brewed, and add it in next time around if it tastes good.

Grain Bill:
9.5 Lbs - Pale 2 Row
1.75 Lbs - Munich (6.5L)
.25 Lbs - Crystal (60L)

.25 - Citra (10 min)
.25 - Galaxy (10 min)

I would add the Citra & Galaxy on the final 3 days of fermentation, not the first 3.

I would add the Citra & Galaxy on the final 3 days of fermentation, not the first 3.

This is my general practice when dry hoping. I wanted to do some experimenting and deviate away from adding them late and try to add them early during fermentation to see how that will result. I figured this might add some juicy characterustic to the beer, or would this be a waste?

The best way to learn and draw your own conclusions is to experiment, so go for it! That being said, many other brewers have already experimented with various dry hop timing, leading to what are considered typical practices. The hive mind has concluded that dry hopping after active fermentation is over preserves more aroma. No harm in challenging that if you're curious.

The orange peel and coriander are used in Belgian witbier, a style that is only lightly hopped for mild bitterness, and has no hop flavor when brewed to style. Therefore these relatively delicate ingredients have a chance of standing out. In a pale ale with lots of citrusy American hops, though, orange peel and coriander are probably swimming uphill in the flavor competition. Again, if you're interested, who cares what other people think? Just try it. Almost certainly can't hurt, just won't contribute much.

The best way to learn and draw your own conclusions is to experiment, so go for it! That being said, many other brewers have already experimented with various dry hop timing, leading to what are considered typical practices. The hive mind has concluded that dry hopping after active fermentation is over preserves more aroma. No harm in challenging that if you're curious.

The orange peel and coriander are used in Belgian witbier, a style that is only lightly hopped for mild bitterness, and has no hop flavor when brewed to style. Therefore these relatively delicate ingredients have a chance of standing out. In a pale ale with lots of citrusy American hops, though, orange peel and coriander are probably swimming uphill in the flavor competition. Again, if you're interested, who cares what other people think? Just try it. Almost certainly can't hurt, just won't contribute much.

Thanks you all for the responses and insight!! Most of the beers I have brewed have been pretty traditional in style and techniques. Lately I have been wanting to stray away from what is supposed to be done or used in a typical style and see how it results. I figured this one might be a start and wanted to combine a few techniques and ingredients from different styles that I enjoy and see what happens.

I don't know if I saw what yeast you intend to use...

Maybe Imperial A20?

I had originally put in for white labs WLP001 California ale. I like how clean this yeast is and how it allows the hops to really come through. I started to think I might give white labs coastal haze blend WLP067 a shot though with this tropical hop recipe. This strain would be totally new to me, but seems like it might work for what I want. My LHBS only sells white labs and dry yeast packets.

WLP001 is a great strain! Worked with it many times (I live 5 miles from White Labs SD facility).
Make sure to mind the age of the yeast and build a starter if indicated by your OG and cell count.

I'd second the above recommendations...after maybe 3 days of fermentation, I'd dry hop, then 3 days later transfer to keg and hook up the gas...

Just my personal experience, but a larger quantity dry hop for a shorter duration is better for tropical/citrusy hops, and a smaller dry hop of longer duration is good for floral or dank/resiny hops.

I've never worked with their coastal haze yeast, but have worked with their Pacific ale yeast...wonder if it's similar...

WLP001 is a great strain! Worked with it many times (I live 5 miles from White Labs SD facility).
Make sure to mind the age of the yeast and build a starter if indicated by your OG and cell count.

I'd second the above recommendations...after maybe 3 days of fermentation, I'd dry hop, then 3 days later transfer to keg and hook up the gas...

Just my personal experience, but a larger quantity dry hop for a shorter duration is better for tropical/citrusy hops, and a smaller dry hop of longer duration is good for floral or dank/resiny hops.

I've never worked with their coastal haze yeast, but have worked with their Pacific ale yeast...wonder if it's similar...

I love WLP001. I have used it many times myself. Decided to go with the coastal haze for this batch. Sounded like it would work well with this recipe. I'm excited to see how it turns out! It is bubbling away now! I ended up bumping up the grain bill a bit and added a little flaked wheat in there. I decided to do without the orange peel and corriander, so I used that money to go towards more hops. Added a flameout addition of both hops at .25 oz each, bumped up the 30 minute steep to 1.25 oz each, and dry hop to 1.5 oz each. I'm going to just dry hop in the keg once it's done fermenting. The sample out of the kettle tasted delicious!! I might need to bump my fwh up a bit to help with bitterness. It was smooth mild bitterness up front, but had a slight sharp bitterness that came in through the back. I'll have to see how it is in the keg if I do decide to bump up my fwh addition a bit. All in all it was a good brew day and this sample so far tasted delicious!! Cant wait to get it on the gas!

Back