Need some ideas to break the cruft in my head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradTheGeek

Reaction score
Stuck my foot in my mouth and offered to make some brew for my girlfriend's best friends wedding. The brides fave beer is blue moon. Next week I plan on brewing a light wheat beer, but I do not want to clone, just be good. The date is at the end of may.

I brew extract and steeped grains, so keep that in mind. Does anyone have any ideas for a good wheat or fruit+wheat beer to start?
After that is done I will be making either an ESB or my first lager and a batch of skeeter pee (probably with strawberry).

Personally I donot like most wheat beers, and the only one I have made (a cranberry wheat last fall, I thought was a dud).

Any ideas or recipes to get my brain going are welcome. Thanks.

What about a good ol hefeweizen or American style hefeweizen? You can try a wheat beer with coriander and sweet orange peel. Maybe grains of paradise.

A wheat beer on the citrus side would be a safe bet. I'd probably avoid a hefeweizen as the crowd might not be comfortable with the yeasty qualities, while a wheat beer would be much cleaner.

Maybe something like Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde, but sub half of the grain bill for wheat?

Really, the base CB recipe is a crowd-pleaser, even for BMC types. It's light and mildly citrusy, perfect for springtime.

A good beer based around Blue Moon could be made very simply. Just use about 6.6 lbs of Briess Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract.

That runs about 65% wheat and 45% barley. Add about 1-1.2 oz of Hallertau hops for 60 minutes of the boil. Add about 2 ounces of McCormicks Valencia Orange Peel for the final 10 minutes of the boils.

Cool it down and pitch with two packets of rehydrated US-05.

Everyone should be happy.

Cheers,
Wayne

Back