Quantcast

Need some ideas from the hopheads: Citra, Cascade and Amarillo

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have an abundance of those 3 hops and would like to use them in an IPA. I'm considering a fairly basic grain bill, though nothing set in stone there. I'd like to end up with a balanced IPA, with lots of hoppy goodness in bitterness, flavor and aroma. It would be a 10-11 gal. batch, BIAB.

Any thoughts on how best to incorporate the three hops varieties?

thehaze

Reaction score
I would bitter with Cascade, then add Cascade, Citra and Amarillo as late additions ( a few oz ) in the last 15 minutes, cool down to 150 F and add a lot of hops and do a whirlpool. ( at least 10 oz )

Dry hop for 3-5 days with Amarillo and Citra. The ratio you can determnine yourself, I like Amarillo in the focus and Citra in the back. For 10-11 gallons, you probably need around 10-15 oz hops for the dry hopping, but it depends on how much you have and how much you like it.

ESBrewer

Reaction score
I haven't used them at all but based on drinking commercial beers hopped with these varieties, I would not flavor/aroma hop with Citra alone cause I find it somewhat overwhelming and annoying when used excessively. So I would try bittering with Cascade/Amarillo and late/dry hopping with a mixture of those three hops.

Miraculix

Reaction score
I love Amarillo, that's why I wouldn't use it prior to ten, maybe 15 min addition. I would bitter with cascade and throw the rest in at flame out. Half of it being Amarillo, a quarter citra and a quarter cascade. Then after three or four days, I would dry hop with the same ratios and hops.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Each of those three hops has its own flavor/aroma. I get mango from Citra, orange from Amarillo, and grapefruit from Cascade. To me, adding Citra to either Amarillo or Cascade enhances the aroma of either of those and I no longer notice mango flavor. I have not tried all three together.

OP
MaxStout

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting the idea that Citra isn't the best choice for bittering, so I'll probably use Cascade for that, then Amarillo/Cascade/Citra for late addition and dry hopping. My previous IPAs and APAs tended to use one, maybe two hops, and it was simpler to put together a good recipe. I have three to use this time and wanted to make the most of them.

Thanks, all!

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
Citra has a reputation for being "catty" when used as an early addition.
Plus there's the intrinsic tragedy of using what has to be considered a premier aroma/flavor hop for IBUs ;)

I agree with using Cascade for the early addition, then a round of the three strains very late, another round for sub-170°F WP hops, some more for "bio hops" (24 hours post-pitch) and even more for the conventional dry hop round (four-five days from pitching).

Keep the O2 exposure low throughout and you'll end up with a juicy neipa - modestly bitter but a gob-smack of hops...

Cheers!

robcj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an abundance of those 3 hops and would like to use them in an IPA. I'm considering a fairly basic grain bill, though nothing set in stone there. I'd like to end up with a balanced IPA, with lots of hoppy goodness in bitterness, flavor and aroma. It would be a 10-11 gal. batch, BIAB.

Any thoughts on how best to incorporate the three hops varieties?
For what it’s worth, I recently made a Citra and Amarillo pale ale—I bittered with Magnum and used a 2:1 ratio of Citra and Amarillo at 5 minutes and in the fermenter. It was pretty tasty. Additionally, Fortunate Islands by Modern Times uses 2:1 ratio of Citra and Amarillo and I think it’s great.

If you want a newer, juicier style of IPA then just use the Cascade for bittering and a 2:1 Citra / Amarillo ratio late in the boil, ideally as a whirlpool or hopstand. But if you want a classic American IPA, then you could use it late in the boil too for a 1:1:1 Citra / Amarillo / Cascade ratio. In both cases, dryhop with same ratio as your late boil addition.

ircbrewing

Reaction score
My house IPA used Simcoe as bittering and I start adding citra at 20, cascade at 10 and citra and flame out. Then dry hop with citra. Makes for a juicy combo.