Need some help with this recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knoxgoalie

Reaction score
Pilsner Liquid Extract - 3.15 lbs. - 60 min
Pilsner Liquid Extract - 3.15 lbs. - 45 min
Centennial - 1 oz. - 60 min
Hallertauer Mittelfrueh - 1 oz. - 20 min
Fuggles - 1 oz. - 10 min
Irish Moss - 15 min

-----------------------------------------

Estimated OG - 1.045
Estimated FG - 1.012
Estimated ABV - 4.4%
Estimated Bitterness - 39.3 IBU
Estimated Color - 4.1 SRM

-----------------------------------------

I like the idea of this beer and it fits in almost perfectly with the Classic American Pilsner on BeerSmith...I want to maybe try adding fruit into secondary to try something new. I wonder what people would add or change about this recipe if they were doing it...I'm only 3 batches in but I like the idea of making up my own recipes instead of using kits and HBT has given me a million ideas I never thought of...so let's see what you guys got!

I would suggest looking at recipes to see whats tried and true.Nothing wrong with experimenting but in early stages,dont get disapointed for being gung ho or just going balls out, it wont end like you think. I had high hopes that ended in disapointment, experimenting is something that needs some experience.I think adding a bit here and there is a safe way to go.

I have been looking at recipes which is where I came up with the extract idea..just wanted to see if people had other ideas on the recipe I made with beersmith

I think it would be a fine beer by itself,what temps you fermenting /yeast?

I've been fermenting around 68-72..a little warmer than I'd like but it's been a hot summer so far...I was thinking S-04 yeast most likely.

Pilsner requires lagering, so you are not going to make a pilsner with this recipe. With ale yeast and ale fermentation, it is going to taste more like a blonde.

If that's what you want, go for it, but were I you I wouldn't start experimenting until the actual process of brewing is almost automatic to you, and you have a general idea of what each individual ingredient does to the finished product.

Pilsner requires lagering, so you are not going to make a pilsner with this recipe. With ale yeast and ale fermentation, it is going to taste more like a blonde.

Exactly. You can't make an American lager with an English ale yeast. The hops are all over the place too, which is fine, but confusing.

There are scads of recipes here on HBT, but if you don't have time to sort through them all, you could pick up a copy of Brewing Classic Styles or just pick your favorite commercial beer and buy a clone kit from AHS.

Then again, recipe is a vanishingly small part of what it takes to brew a good beer. Practically any wort, fermented cleanly with a right-size pitch of healthy yeast of practically any strain at a reasonable, steady temperature will yield a tasty and satisfying beer. Most of what I brew lately is made with a single malt and a single hop, and I focus on being clean and consistent with my process. Better beer and more confidence result.

Back