Need some help on converting a side by side fridge to kegerator/ferm chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrubins

Reaction score
I'm looking to turn my side by side fridge into a side by side kegerator and fermentation chamber.

I have a whirlpool ed25tq side by side fridge

What I need to understand is how the freezer maintains its temperature. Does it
A) have a simple thermostat so that it keeps one temperature. In which case, what is the knob for on the control box?
B) have an adjustable thermostat, which is just placed in the freezer itself, operated by the long connecting rod?

I can't find an actual wiring diagram for this fridge.
I did find a parts list, which shows the long connecting rod that extends from the back of the freezer control- called the "air control", it's the knob on the left that turns a cam, moving the connecting rod forwards and backwards.

Maybe I just don't understand refrigerator operations as well as I thought I did? As an aside,I once made refrigerators on an assembly line for two weeks. Worst. Job. Ever.

Thanks!

I used this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=272478
but decided to just tap into the system and replace the thermostat - this way when it comes time for the defrost cycle there are no problems and it just takes care of business. Wiring is KEY here. The basic premise I took was that i drew power from the main line going to the thermostat but didnt interupt the defrost unit. I have been running it now for over a year with no issues - except for the first time the defrost cycle kicked in and made me think I lost the unit. The symptoms were no power to the pid (I run stc) units (I have a second unit running a computer fan from the freezer section into the the fridge section) but the lights remained on in the fridge. Woke up the next day to power to the stc units and everything was fine.

I love this thing!

....What I need to understand is how the freezer maintains its temperature. Does it
A) have a simple thermostat so that it keeps one temperature. In which case, what is the knob for on the control box?
B) have an adjustable thermostat, which is just placed in the freezer itself, operated by the long connecting rod?

I can't find an actual wiring diagram for this fridge.
I did find a parts list, which shows the long connecting rod that extends from the back of the freezer control- called the "air control", it's the knob on the left that turns a cam, moving the connecting rod forwards and backwards. ....
Essentially, the evaporator maintains the freezer temperatures based on the actual thermostat and the fridge "thermostat" controls the amount of freezer air that is transferred into the fridge compartment.

Referencing the posted diagram: The evaporator (Unit Parts diagram, #2) provides heat removal for the freezer by air flow created by the evaporator fan (Air Flow Parts diagram #7/8 ). A portion of this air flow is drawn off through the air diffuser (Refrigerator Liner Parts Diagram #24) into the refrigerator compartment. The air diffuser is controlled by the connecting rod, cam, air control knob (Control Parts diagram, #11,23,27).

To modify to a kegerator / fermentation chamber, the freezer would likely need to be controlled for kegerator temperatures and the air flow to the refrigerator side would need to be controlled separately for fermentation temperatures.

Essentially, the evaporator maintains the freezer temperatures based on the actual thermostat and the fridge "thermostat" controls the amount of freezer air that is transferred into the fridge compartment.

Referencing the posted diagram: The evaporator (Unit Parts diagram, #2) provides heat removal for the freezer by air flow created by the evaporator fan (Air Flow Parts diagram #7/8 ). A portion of this air flow is drawn off through the air diffuser (Refrigerator Liner Parts Diagram #24) into the refrigerator compartment. The air diffuser is controlled by the connecting rod, cam, air control knob (Control Parts diagram, #11,23,27).

To modify to a kegerator / fermentation chamber, the freezer would likely need to be controlled for kegerator temperatures and the air flow to the refrigerator side would need to be controlled separately for fermentation temperatures.

That is a much better answer than I gave. Note to self: dont login late at night after many beers...

Exactly correct - this is what I did. I started witht the stc probe in the fridge section and then bot another unit for the freezer. After finding that the compressor was running way too much - I switched it to the freezer section and put the second unit probe in the fridge section which runs the fan from the freezer putting cold air into my fridge side. Now I can keep the freezer section at 36* and the fridge section at 50.

If I find time in the next few days I will open my unit wiri gnup and snap a few for you - if you want.

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for your replies, they helped me get my project finished. I'll post an instructable soon :)

This is the exact project that I am working on I am just replacing the stock thermo with a stc and tapping my power from the power cord. That way I keep it simple and don't bother the defrost controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back