Need some help New Brew mistake??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arocck

Reaction score
Hey Guys wondering if i can get some feed back here. I started a brew from a recipe online and was wondering if i should worry about how it will turn out.

Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg BE1
1.5kg Briess Liquid Malt Extract Golden Light
450gms of Dextrose
25gms pellet Cascade hops, dry hop
Safale 05us yeast
20l
temperature 20c

obviously it looks too be a strong ABV. OG was 1.074. Could be misleading being i tested from the spigot before i pitched the yeast and came from the bottom of the FV. Temperature staying at the 20C. I just brewed yesterday would it hurt to add more water to 23l to lower the ABV. or am i fine just leaving it..Will it be too high? Id like it to stay in the 5.5-6% range.

Be prepared for a blow-off. I am not saying that it will happen, but you need to be ready.

also do you mean you pitched at 20C or that you're fermenting at it? with a blonde you're gonna want a pretty clean yeast profile. for next time i would recommend fermenting with an ambient temperature of around 16C for the first 4-5 days then let it rise to about 20-21. This is because, in the first few days of fermentation, the yeast doing their job will create heat. So the temp inside the fermenter can be 3-5C warmer than ambient air temps.

also do you mean you pitched at 20C or that you're fermenting at it? with a blonde you're gonna want a pretty clean yeast profile. for next time i would recommend fermenting with an ambient temperature of around 16C for the first 4-5 days then let it rise to about 20-21. This is because, in the first few days of fermentation, the yeast doing their job will create heat. So the temp inside the fermenter can be 3-5C warmer than ambient air temps.

yes pitched about 18c-20c that was yesterday, last night and today its been at 20c i have cold wet towels to keep it at that temp. Do i need to get it lower?

yes pitched about 18c-20c that was yesterday, last night and today its been at 20c i have cold wet towels to keep it at that temp. Do i need to get it lower?

the cold wet towels will help, but inside the fermenter, at least for the first couple of days, it will be warmer than your ambient air. maybe only by a couple of degrees celsius. i'm not saying you need to be absolutely alarmed, as i'm sure you'll still produce a pretty good beer. i was just saying for the future, with a blonde ale, you may want to figure out a way to get the temp inside the fermenter to 20, which means ambient needs to be lower.

Back