Need some help making a recipe from this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I want to make a Great Divide Titan IPA clone and there is nothing out there for recipes. Talked to my buddy who works at the brewery and while he couldn't give me exact recipe he did give me this to work with, so I need to know what quantities I'm looking at here. I'm to new to brewing to even guess at it. Help please. Oh and this beer Is fairly piney in flavor not to heavy on citrus, So I was thinking about maybe adding more simcoe somewhere, but again new and not sure.

american 2-row, and 5% crystal 75. simcoe and amarillo bittering. amarillo again for flavoring. columbus at end of boil.
And Columbus for dry hopping

I have never had one but I'd guess about something like this:

13.5 lbs US 2-row
0.75 lbs Crystal 75
0.75 oz Simcoe @60 minutes
0.75 oz Amarillo @60 minutes
0.5 oz Amarillo @15 minutes
0.5 oz Columbus @0 minutes
1 oz Columbus for 5 days (dry hop)

As I said I have never had it so don't really know how dry it is. I would probably mash at 152F.

Columbus is pretty piney.

EDIT: for yeast/fermentation I would just try mid 60's with Safale US-05.

Thanks a ton, that sounds like it would work well is it for a 5 gallon batch?Anyone else have suggestions, I'd just like to get a range. As for the dry hopping a little update, he let me know dryhopping is for 48 hr. I've never heard of that before and not sure if you'd bump up the amount of hops you use because of this. :mug:

Bump in hope someone can help me make this 65 ibu and extract. Gonna be brewing tomorrow.

here's my stab at it

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 12.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

9.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] (45 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] (15 min)
0.50 oz Columbus [14.00 %] (0 min)

Yes I based the recipe on a 5 gallon batch size.

OK so I would bump up the Amarillo additions by .25oz, and the Columbus addition at the end of the boil also by .25 oz. That will put you close 65 IBUs, although I am not sure what the flavor balance is in the beer for the different kinds of hops, so I'm just guessing.

For the dry hops I wouldn't go too crazy, but again I've never had that beer. You could probably safely double it if you want it to have more of that distinct Columbus aroma. You might also consider increasing the batch size a bit to compensate for the volume you'll lose doing the dry hops, although it's not necessary; you'll just end up with closer to 4.75 gallons instead of 5.

EDIT: I accidentally messed up the calculations for the extract additions since I was trying to change the AG recipe on the fly.

For extract version, replace the 2-row with 10 lbs of light/pale liquid extract, or 8 lbs of light DME, and steep 0.5 lbs crystal at 160F for 30 minutes before removing. Then add the extract and bring to a boil.

EDIT 2: I think the A4J's recipe above is a little too light on the gravity, especially for an extract recipe. I looked up that beer online and it's 7.1% ABV...need more like 1.073-1.075 to hit that I would think.

Back