Need some help infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxfactor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so been brewing for a year and a half and have never had an infection so I looking for confirmation that is what I have going on here ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405780497.740142.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405780522.871169.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405780554.518500.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Maybe. What is it we're looking at? What kind of wine? SG? How long has it been in that carboy? It looks pretty clear and therefore I'm assuming it's done fermenting, whatever it is, and is just bulk aging. If so it kind of looks like you've got too much headspace in there (but hard to tell from the pics), which can lead to infection as well as oxidation of your wine.

That could also just be some sort of residue, but it doesn't look good. How does it smell/taste?

Did some research there is too much head space it's a gerz ad smells
Fine I going to rack it too a smaller carboy and add some Camden tables Then bottle in. 24 48 hs

Personaly I would get it drinkable befor botteling it.
Adding campton and racking are good starting points if it is infected. Followed by a second racking if anything settles to the bottom. Less headspace is nice as well. If after a few days instead of botteling it, taste and smell it. If its still stinky splash rack it. If it is just a little off tasting but smells fine let us know. Maybe someone can offer a soulution. Or cover up the taste and drink it instead of botteling it:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Did some research there is too much head space it's a gerz ad smells
Fine I going to rack it too a smaller carboy and add some Camden tables Then bottle in. 24 48 hs

Don't bottle! If it is an infection, you may be able to halt it but if not your bottles may blow up.

It's WAY too much headspace, and that's the cause. Add the crushed campden tablets, dissolved in a little of the wine, and rack to a carboy with no headspace. Wait and see if anything recurs over the next few weeks, and if not then it would be ok to bottle.

Back