need some fermentation chamber ideas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxman06

Reaction score
hello to all, it has bean a long time seance i have posted, but i have bean brewing, i just moved to San Antonio TX, from Omaha NE, well my problem comes into play now. i used to have a basement that in the dead of winter in NE would be perfect for Lagering. but hear in TX that is not a option so i have to use a ferm chamber. not a big deal. this is what i am thinking. i have a shed ( un-insulated) in my back yard it has electric, so i would like to keep it in there.
would a chest freezer work, with a temp controller. or would it be better if i had a small Dorm sized unit in the house. i would like to ferment 10 to 15 gal at a time. i do not want this to raise my elect bill a hole lot. so ideas would be great

Chest freezer or fridge is the easiest option with a controller. Search for Ranco controller. It is pretty easy to wire up using a power strip that you can plug your appliance into, and saves some money compared to getting the prewired one.

I just picked up a upright freezer to turn in to a ferm chamber. It will hold 4 buckets/carboys with a shelf about half way up. It's 17cuft i think and was a steal at 50 bucks. I have and stc -1000 wired up already and plan on extending the old shelf support hole out to run cables through. all and all i think total cost will be around 100 bucks with heater and all, though you probably don't need that. I like the upright over a chest freezer for the small foot print, as i already have a chest freezer keezer.

Also if i happen to win the give away (fat chance) i could fit the conical in it. which would be pretty awesome.

Back