need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac25663

Reaction score
this is my third brew. hefe weizen.
used wlp 300
fermentation went nuts next day after pitching came home to a dry airlock caked with krausen. bubbled consistently for about 36 more hours then no more bubbles, now palmer sais let it sit for two weeks but im not kidding no bubbles. im nervous about this i want my brew to be good right should i wait the two weeks, or bottle im leaning on patience and waiting but i need input from you guys as you are a valuable resource.
again thanks for all the help you have all given me
Scott

Hefe yeast will produce a vigorous, and fast fermentation. There is no surprise that it clogged your airlock. Don't worry that your airlock is no longer bubbling.

If you want to know whether fermentation has finished, take a gravity reading. If it is at your estimated finishing gravity, then it is probably done. If it is higher, wait a day or two and take another reading.

It is not a bad idea to let it sit in your primaray for a week or two, reagrdless whether you think fermentation is finsihed.

Hefe yeast will produce a vigorous, and fast fermentation. There is no surprise that it clogged your airlock. Don't worry that your airlock is no longer bubbling.

If you want to know whether fermentation has finished, take a gravity reading. If it is at your estimated finishing gravity, then it is probably done. If it is higher, wait a day or two and take another reading.

It is not a bad idea to let it sit in your primaray for a week or two, reagrdless whether you think fermentation is finsihed.

+1 use your hydrometer.

It is not a bad idea to let it sit in your primary for a week or two, regardless of whether you think fermentation is finished.
+2. Let it sit in primary for two weeks. That'll give it enough time to finish fermenting, and for the yeast to clean up after itself and get rid of the byproducts of fermentation that you don't want in the beer. Then bottle it, and leave it for three (or better, four) weeks. It'll be awesome.

Back