Need Some Advice on Keg Posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashedcat

Reaction score
Been out of the brewing game a few years, decided to go grab a new C02 and keg and start brewing again.

I’ve previously force carb’d, this was done by attaching gas to the out… I assume like everyone else does.

The new setup I have, I force carb’d as normal. I went to swap inputs and neither are a tight fit. Gas and liquid both leak, so what gives here? If I swap them they’re very tight.

My kegging knowledge is pretty minimal, so I would have guessed the posts were different sizes and someone swapped them, but if I even can make that change, I wouldn’t be able to force carb.

Any advice/knowledge here is greatly appreciated. I searched the forums and found some varying post sizes, so I think I’m just looking for the generalized solution to dispensing and carbonating.

Last edited:
fwiw, the only time I ever hooked a CO2 bottle to an Out post was to cure an overcarbed keg. Ie, I always just apply the gas to the head space.

In any case, ball lock posts have various sections that differ in diameter between gas and liquid sides, but not by much. Like in the 1/64th inch range. Indeed you can stretch out a CMB (plastic) gas disconnect if you plug it on a beer post enough times to where it will no longer seal on a gas post.

Otherwise, make sure you have fresh O-rings on the posts and use a bit of silicone grease on them...

Cheers!

Been out of the brewing game a few years, decided to go grab a new C02 and keg and start brewing again.

I’ve previously force carb’d, this was done by attaching gas to the out… I assume like everyone else does.

The new setup I have, I force carb’d as normal. I went to swap inputs and neither are a tight fit. Gas and liquid both leak, so what gives here? If I swap them they’re very tight.

My kegging knowledge is pretty minimal, so I would have guessed the posts were different sizes and someone swapped them, but if I even can make that change, I wouldn’t be able to force carb.

Any advice/knowledge here is greatly appreciated. I searched the forums and found some varying post sizes, so I think I’m just looking for the generalized solution to dispensing and carbonating.

If someone switched the gas and liquid posts (and you're going by what it says on the keg rather than looking at the post itself), the gas post has a line etched into it at the base.

1643598457001.png

Sometimes posts can be finicky and only match up well with their original thread/base. Especially old kegs where the same post and threads may have been paired for years.

fwiw, the only time I ever hooked a CO2 bottle to an Out post was to cure an overcarbed keg. Ie, I always just apply the gas to the head space.

In any case, ball lock posts have various sections that differ in diameter between gas and liquid sides, but not by much. Like in the 1/64th inch range. Indeed you can stretch out a CMB (plastic) gas disconnect if you plug it on a beer post enough times to where it will no longer seal on a gas post.

Otherwise, make sure you have fresh O-rings on the posts and use a bit of silicone grease on them...

Cheers!

Good info, I read that it was best to carbonate using the in as it let it flow from the bottom up, but that may have been some misinformation or maybe it does help, but it's just not worth it really. Which will make it nicer not having to swap sides anyway. Thanks!

If someone switched the gas and liquid posts (and you're going by what it says on the keg rather than looking at the post itself), the gas post has a line etched into it at the base.

View attachment 757640

Ok so this is what I'm dealing with... with seems correct I believe?

The black rings are new and I'd say I screwed something else up, but the OUT is a preassembled picnic tap and it's so loose it wiggles a bit(Yeah I have it all the way down).

Attachments

• IMG_4589.jpg
    IMG_4589.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4590.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 25
Some posts just leak. Sometimes hard to know why. Its a good idea to have spares and not get the posts mixed up if your cleaning multiple kegs.

Good info, I read that it was best to carbonate using the in as it let it flow from the bottom up, but that may have been some misinformation or maybe it does help, but it's just not worth it really. Which will make it nicer not having to swap sides anyway. Thanks!

Ok so this is what I'm dealing with... with seems correct I believe?

The black rings are new and I'd say I screwed something else up, but the OUT is a preassembled picnic tap and it's so loose it wiggles a bit(Yeah I have it all the way down).

Looks like you've got the right ones on there. I've got no idea why they don't fit. Have you tried different disconnects?

Don't be offended just asking...I know you said you had it all the way down, but are you lifting the lower ring on the disconnect and making sure it clicks into place? And you have one black and one gray disconnect? The grey disconnect goes on the in (12 pt) post. I just tried a set of disconnects on those same style posts and the only way they are loose is if the disconnect is not fully seated--the lower ring on the disconnect isn't in place.

Don't be offended just asking...I know you said you had it all the way down, but are you lifting the lower ring on the disconnect and making sure it clicks into place? And you have one black and one gray disconnect? The grey disconnect goes on the in (12 pt) post. I just tried a set of disconnects on those same style posts and the only way they are loose is if the disconnect is not fully seated--the lower ring on the disconnect isn't in place.

Good question and please feel free to point out even the most rudimentary stuff, I'm certainly capable of overlooking things especially as I'm just starting back up.

Here's a quick video of the OUT, it pops into place(note the liquid is there as I tried it once before the video). Also idk why I sound like a cow struggling to breathe, but anyway...

After the video I did use two hands while the lip was pulled up just to make sure there wasn't more room and a second spot for it to catch.

Also I'd like to add this is MUCH easier to pop on than any of my old ones are, so obviously something is very wrong here.

Last edited:
Looks like you've got the right ones on there. I've got no idea why they don't fit. Have you tried different disconnects?

I've got one more disconnect(gas) it appears to fit the same as the other one unfortunately.

Is this equipment all secondhand?

Are the O rings on the posts the correct size? There are different sizes for ball lock and pin lock.

Also, check that the disconnects are assembled correctly and tight. They come apart.

Keg is, lines/connectors are new.

The O rings were given to me by the brew shop along with the keg, so I'm hoping they're right, but I guess that's something to check as well.

I'll double check the disconnects in a bit and make sure there's nothing loose.

Keg is, lines/connectors are new.

The O rings were given to me by the brew shop along with the keg, so I'm hoping they're right, but I guess that's something to check as well.

I'll double check the disconnects in a bit and make sure there's nothing loose.

If you've reached the extent of your home troubleshooting abilities, maybe take it back to the brew shop to see what they can recommend? Maybe if they see it in person it will be an easy fix.

I agree with marc1 about the o-rings, I think the wrong ones are on there. Looking straight down at the top of the posts, on my same style posts, the oring should be visible slightly all the way around. Kind of like checking to see if a screw will hold in a hole by putting the drill bit in front of the screw and making sure you can see threads. In your post photos, looking at the side it does not appear that your oring is extending past the metal of the post groove, particularly the out (beer) post.

If you had a caliper you could measure them but I don't know the exact dimensions. I usually buy the kit which has both the ball and pin lock ones so that the seller has had a chance to properly consider the size twice.

I think you guys are right after looking at it some more.

My brew shop is closed on Tuesdays and there's a decent snow happening tonight. I'll update when I get some more and give it a shot.

EDIT: Didn't realize I could grab some at the local hardware store, I'll do that before it snows. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Ok, so I found some info on O-ring sizes and matched them up with what was in stock at Lowes.

You guys did it! A huge thank you to all of you.

After looking at the receipt from the brew shop, I'm not really sure what he gave me(the colors indicated on the receipt don't even match what I was given).

Never had to replace those on my previous setup, so always good to learn, even if it was a bit frustrating.

Thanks again, I'll see you guys in the recipes section next!

Latest posts

Back