Need some advice on a mistake i made bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austinjs0102

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

i am on my 2nd batch of beer, well maybe its my thirds. Still going through some ups and downs being a newbie at this.

Wondering if the batch i made can be fixed.

I made a Hefe using WLP 380 and it fermented great for a solid 2.5 weeks or so. Temps remained between 66-70 all the time.

Come bottle day, everything is going great, some spills here and there but everything was sanatized and went well. Here comes the mistake, i took the beer, placed it in the fridge, this was about 3 days ago. Finally, remembered i had done that and made the mistake as i know it wont carb in the fridge. My question here is, if i take the beer out, possibly add more carb (sugar or tablets) too it and let it sit at room temp for about 2 weeks or so, is there hope for this beer or is it a better idea that i dump it, start a new batch and not make the mistake of putting it in the fridge after bottling.

any advice would be great.

Thanks!

If u already added your priming sugar (or tablets or whatever you're using) to the bottles, you're fine. Just remove them from fridge, let them sit at room temp for 2 weeks to build up carbonation, and enjoy.

Yeah. The yeast goes dormant at fridge temps, it doesn't die unless you freeze it. You may want to shake it gently to get the yeast back in suspension.

As long as your fridge is kept at normal temps, they should still mostly be active. Just tip the bottle around a few times and let them do their thing below 70 degrees somewhere safe.

Also, be sure to keep those bottles out of sunlight

Just tip the bottle around a few times and let them do their thing below 70 degrees somewhere safe.

I let my bottles get carbed at room temperature, between 72-76F.

I don't think temperature matters other than warmer room temperature will carbonate the bottles a little faster.

Replying to this.

I have let them sit for some time, carbination is looking great, been testing a few bottles. Only issue is there is a distinct off flavor and i think it from getting too much air in them during the bottle process as i did not us my filling wand. I believe this mistake cost me an actual decent beer as it came out very clear.

I guess its all part of the process. On to another batch this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the information!

Back