need some advice. boil keggle, dip tube gravity fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveT

Reaction score
today working with my newsetup, it was a painfull brewday..

built a cfc, installed a 1/2" weldless spigot tested it out and seen that it left about 2 gallons of water, went to midwest and got a dip tube installed it and worked good with just boiled water, did my biab with a lawnmower de sassion, (has 3oz hops pitched with no hop bag) had the cfc primed with water from test boil. after flame out I opened the vavle and it flowed well for about 2 minutes after I flowed wort to sanatize... here is where it got painfull, with the dip tube installed it was drawing from 1/2" from the bottom so it plugged and I tried sucking it from the cold side of the cfc to get it going, no luck. so I put the keggle on the ground and tiped it far enough to remove the dip tube with my hand it was very hot! after about 18 mins it was down to where it was starting to suck air so I tiped it as much as I could with it still trickling out and after about 10 more minutes there was still about 1 1/2 gallons of wort and trub, so I was still 1 1/2 gallons short of my 5 gallon mark so I grabbed a funnel and dumped it all in. from sucking on the cold side and messing with it so much hopefully it will not be infected, heh.

I am thinking of getting a hop ball or 2 and possibly a false bottom, but before I try a false bottom I thought I would get a 1/2" elbow and a short piece and have it turn down right on the side of the keggle below the valve, this is a gravity fed system so I am not sure if this cfc and gravity is even worth my time as I thought it was going to be a time saver, but from reading other posts it seems that it is about 15 minutes average time anyways to get 5 gallons to flow through it with gravity. what are your guys thoughts? whats the best way to keep gravity flow going without getting plugged?

It's possible to gravity drain a kettle through a CFC, but without a pump you will need a substantial elevation difference to create some pressure head to overcome the resistance presented by the long run of tubing. Much depends on the inside diameter of the CFC as well. Smaller tubing will inhibit the flow much more than larger tubing etc. I would get a pump if I were you. That's the way I do it.

whats the best solution for not plugging the dip tube with trub? it's a 3/8 ss line that I got from midwest

whats the best solution for not plugging the dip tube with trub? it's a 3/8 ss line that I got from midwest

I use a false bottom as a screen which works well for me. Opinions are all over the place on this as well as various solutions. Many like to use a hop spider paint bag strainer type gizmo. There are several threads on that topic.

Back