Need reassurance on my second batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FDillon00

Reaction score
So my second batch was the "Noble Trappist" Kit from Midwest.

Ferms: 6 lb. Pilsen liquid malt extract, 1 lb. Clear Belgian candi sugar,
Grains: 8 oz. Caramel 40L, 8 oz. Carapils specialty grains,
Hops: 2 oz. Hallertau, 1 oz. Styrian Goldings pellet hops,
Yest: Wyest Propagator 3787 (Trappist)

SG: 1.051
Today's Gravity: 1.030

Boiled/Pitched last Saturday (28 Nov)

So today (4 Dec) I racked to a glass carboy because I want to bulk condition this brew for a few months and I need room in my primary bucket for another brew set to be boiled tomorrow (5 Dec). A guy at work also got me on to the idea of washing the yeast for reuse in another batch. I added the water and waited 20 minutes pulled of the clear-ish liquid at the top an closed my jar. A hour later I checked the jar in the refrigerator and there was a lot more liquid at the top so when I open the jar to pull that liquid and it explodes with foam.

My first brew stayed in primary for 4 weeks so before I checked the gravity and bottled it, so secondary is new to me.

1. My questions are should I be concerned at today's gravity after 6 days in primary?

2. If so should I add/pitch my jar of "washed" yeast back to wort/beer? Knowing that everything that has touched the yeast since it left the primary was soaked in Star-San or boiled.

Thanks in advance.

So today (4 Jan) I racked to a glass carboy because I want to bulk condition this brew for a few months and I need room in my primary bucket for another brew set to be boiled tomorrow (5 Jan).

Are you from the future?!? If so, how will tomorrow's brewday hefeweizen turn out?

Just pitched the package. Since this is only my second batch and I have only got kits I haven't had the spare ingredients around to make a 2-3 liter starter.

Good news is I checked the carboy this morning and there is a lot of fermentation activity, a good layer of krausen (about 3 inches deep) and 1-2 bubbles out of the airlock every second.

I think I was just acting prematurely and was confused because there was very little krausen and airlock activity in the primary before I racked it.

Latest posts

Back