Need Pineapple IPA recipe clone advice (Sweetwater "Goin Coastal")

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holst09

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to this website, but I have lurked on it for awhile.

I had the Sweetwater Goin Coastal Pineapple IPA a few weeks ago, and am obsessing over it. I want to brew it, but unfortunately there are no clone attempts online (as of yet). Here are the details (any advice on this would be appreciated) from their website:

“The bright armoas of the FIVE citrus hop additions are accentuated by the tropical fruit of the pineapple. Golden copper in color, a full malt bill”
Grains: 2-row, Wheat, Premium English, Crystal
Hops: Columbus, Cascade, Simcoe, Goldings
Dry Hop: Cascade, Simcoe, Goldings, Centennial
ABV: 6.1 %, IBU’s: 50

As you can see, Sweetwater doesn’t include the hop amounts and timing. Would / could you speculate at all about this (if you have had the beer already)? Or, if possible, any suggestion, based on these ingredients, for a good Pineapple IPA, would be appreciated.

Hello all,

New to this website, but I have lurked on it for awhile.

I had the Sweetwater Goin Coastal Pineapple IPA a few weeks ago, and am obsessing over it. I want to brew it, but unfortunately there are no clone attempts online (as of yet). Here are the details (any advice on this would be appreciated) from their website:

“The bright armoas of the FIVE citrus hop additions are accentuated by the tropical fruit of the pineapple. Golden copper in color, a full malt bill”
Grains: 2-row, Wheat, Premium English, Crystal
Hops: Columbus, Cascade, Simcoe, Goldings
Dry Hop: Cascade, Simcoe, Goldings, Centennial
ABV: 6.1 %, IBU’s: 50

As you can see, Sweetwater doesn’t include the hop amounts and timing. Would / could you speculate at all about this (if you have had the beer already)? Or, if possible, any suggestion, based on these ingredients, for a good Pineapple IPA, would be appreciated.

Are you kegging or bottleing? I have had success making a pineapple IIPA but have never had this beer. I had the most luck putting fresh pinapple into the keg for about 4-5 days cold and not fermenting it (must keep cold are you will get a second fermentation) Put in bag or youll clog your tip tube. When i put in secondary and fermented got a little harsh. If bottleing this doesnt help at all. Never used pinapple flavor but i am sure someone on here has and can talk about that.

I'll be kegging. Ive heard 2 things:

1: Put it in the secondary AFTER the fermentation stops, as the pineapple juice can kill the yeast

2: use frozen pineapple concentrate, so you don't have ^ issue

Essentially what you did was submerge some pineapple in a completely post-fermentation state? Submerged it while chilled in the kegerator?

Would love to know your recipe. How did it turn out?

Are you kegging or bottleing? I have had success making a pineapple IIPA but have never had this beer. I had the most luck putting fresh pinapple into the keg for about 4-5 days cold and not fermenting it (must keep cold are you will get a second fermentation) Put in bag or youll clog your tip tube. When i put in secondary and fermented got a little harsh. If bottleing this doesnt help at all. Never used pinapple flavor but i am sure someone on here has and can talk about that.

Quoting your response incase that is how this website notifies posters (my response is the one above.

I'll be kegging. Ive heard 2 things:

1: Put it in the secondary AFTER the fermentation stops, as the pineapple juice can kill the yeast

2: use frozen pineapple concentrate, so you don't have ^ issue

Essentially what you did was submerge some pineapple in a completely post-fermentation state? Submerged it while chilled in the kegerator?

Would love to know your recipe. How did it turn out?

Ill pm you recipe. I have tried 1 and it will still ferment. Not sure it killed any yeast.

Never used frozen.

I chilled beer and put into keg and then added the pineapple. You do need to keep it cold or i could restart fermentation. Not as big of a deal in keg but still dont let it warm up. This is what I did and I know others have had success doing it differently. I also drank it pretty quick so no idea how this ages.

I am making a pineapple IPA now. I bought a huge can of pineapple chunks in juice. I was going to try to juice the chunks but it was too difficult. So I said f-it and pureed the chunks in the juice, pasteurized it (160F), then chilled it back down. Result was 88 fl.oz. of puree.

I WAS going to add it to the primary after a week but there wasn't enough room. So I racked to secondary at 8 days and poured in the puree. That was this morning, so I haven't checked if it's back to fermenting now. I will report back. I hope my yeast isn't dead!

None of my stores had frozen pineapple concentrate, that was Plan A. Plan B was pineapple juice, but the Dole juice is mostly water and has other preservatives in it. I figured the canned chunks were a good alternative although it also has water and citric acid in the ingredients.

Once the pineapple is done fermenting I'm going to dry hop, probably in the same carboy.

I am making a pineapple IPA now. I bought a huge can of pineapple chunks in juice. I was going to try to juice the chunks but it was too difficult. So I said f-it and pureed the chunks in the juice, pasteurized it (160F), then chilled it back down. Result was 88 fl.oz. of puree.

I WAS going to add it to the primary after a week but there wasn't enough room. So I racked to secondary at 8 days and poured in the puree. That was this morning, so I haven't checked if it's back to fermenting now. I will report back. I hope my yeast isn't dead!

None of my stores had frozen pineapple concentrate, that was Plan A. Plan B was pineapple juice, but the Dole juice is mostly water and has other preservatives in it. I figured the canned chunks were a good alternative although it also has water and citric acid in the ingredients.

Once the pineapple is done fermenting I'm going to dry hop, probably in the same carboy.

I am very curious. Now, it seems that the general consensus is to add it during the fermentation process, and I assume there are rational reasons not to simply throw the pineapple into the boil? Then again, I don't think any fruit beer does that, it would probably destroy the flavor.

Part of me thinks you could just put it in after the fermentation is pretty much done… That way if it kills the yeast, so what, and if it generates more fermentation, cheers

If it kills the yeast then the sugar from the pineapple could make the beer too sweet, and it also won't prime in the bottles. That's not a big deal if you're kegging.

Adding it at flame out might work out well, it would sanitize the fruit. Since it's not boiling then you may not lose much aroma.

Mine is slowly fermenting 12 hours after adding the pineapple. It may be slow because I racked to secondary and left the vast majority of the yeast behind. This may be another good reason to add the pineapple to primary near the end of the fermentation when there is still plenty of yeast around.

Checked again this morning (24 hours after adding pineapple) and it's fermenting away at a much higher rate than it was last night. There's a new krausen layer on top as well. Looks like the yeast are still happy.

Before adding pineapple the SG was 1.012 and ABV was 7.8%.

The pineapple can I got was 6lb, 10oz...

0002400001234_A

Checked again this morning (24 hours after adding pineapple) and it's fermenting away at a much higher rate than it was last night. There's a new krausen layer on top as well. Looks like the yeast are still happy.

Before adding pineapple the SG was 1.012 and ABV was 7.8%.

The pineapple can I got was 6lb, 10oz...

0002400001234_A

Mind posting your recipe?

Here's the recipe I'm using. Hopefully it comes out close to a Pineapple Sculpin from Ballast Point. I found the recipe elsewhere and tweaked it slightly. It's definitely an experiment!

BIAB, 5.5 gal, 1.071 OG, 66 IBU
12.5 lb 2-row
1.25 lb Crystal 10
1 lb CaraPils
1/4 lb cane sugar
Mash @149 60min

1.5 oz magnum 60
2 oz Cascade(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH 7 days)
2 oz Citra(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH 7 days)
2 oz Simcoe(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH 7 days)
0.25 lb Sugar 10min
Whirlfloc
Yeast nutrient

US-05 w/ starter

Pineapple puree from 6lb 10oz can of pineapple

I like Sweetwater Goin' Coastal. You have good timing, since my distributor at work told me I got the last case of it. (seasonal beer)

Personally, I really like Goin' Coastal, but I think it's a little too bready/malty. My versions of pineapple IPA's are a bit thinner/drier.

I've made four pineapple IPA's so far. The first one was "great", the next two were "okay", and I'm tapping the keg on my fourth version tonight. If the freshly-tapped beer tastes nearly as good as yesterday's hydrometer sample, it might just be the best beer I've ever made! :rockin: If it is as good as I predict, I'd be happy to share the recipe tomorrow if you'd like.

I like Sweetwater Goin' Coastal. You have good timing, since my distributor at work told me I got the last case of it. (seasonal beer)

Personally, I really like Goin' Coastal, but I think it's a little too bready/malty. My versions of pineapple IPA's are a bit thinner/drier.

I've made four pineapple IPA's so far. The first one was "great", the next two were "okay", and I'm tapping the keg on my fourth version tonight. If the freshly-tapped beer tastes nearly as good as yesterday's hydrometer sample, it might just be the best beer I've ever made! :rockin: If it is as good as I predict, I'd be happy to share the recipe tomorrow if you'd like.

I would love to see the recipe for the "best" one you've made. I would also like specifics on adding pineapple flavor and the tweaks you've made from one recipe to the next :mug:

Would love to have your recipe. Absolutely

This latest batch is perfect. I wouldn't change anything. The pineapple juice (46oz) really makes the pineapple/tropical fruit flavor of Citra/Mosaic really shine. It's also only a 20 minute boil. Fined with gelatin, I can read a book through the pint glass. Here's my latest recipe:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Pineapple IPA 4
Author: Patrick

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 20 min
Batch Size: 5.85 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.010
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.005
ABV (standard): 6.15%
IBU (tinseth): 83.67
SRM (morey): 4.3

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (64.6%)
1.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (19.4%)
8 oz - Cane Sugar - (late addition) (6.5%)
6.16 oz - Pineapple Juice (46oz can, 6.16oz sugars) - (late addition) (5%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
5.625 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Apollo, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 26
0.5 oz - Equinox, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.4, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 11.27
3 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Boil for 3 min, IBU: 24.41
3 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 3 min, IBU: 21.99
3 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
3 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 89.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

A few notes about three pineapple IPA's I did before this batch:

Batch #1: Great! Very similar to the recipe posted above, only with a 45 minute hopstand/whirlpool starting at 190*F. Featured Citra/Mosaic hops.

Batch #2: Just "okay". Used 2oz Citra/3 oz Falconer's Flight in the hopstand, and 3oz Citra/2oz Falconer's Flight for the dry hop. This batch didn't have much pineapple flavor (even though the exact same amount of juice was used). In fact, to most folks that tasted it (including myself) wouldn't have guessed it was a pineapple IPA if I hadn't told them ahead of time. In hindsight, I think it was the use of the Falconer's Flight that made it so much different. (to me, F.F. comes across as a nice balance of pine/grapefruit with just the slightest hint of tropical flavors/aroma) Not a bad IPA, but I think a pineapple IPA needs to have nothing but tropical-variety hops.

Batch #3: Just "okay". Opposite problem. I figured #2 just needed a little bit more Citra flavor/aroma to make the pineapple flavor pop, so pretty much copied the previous recipe and added an extra ounce of Citra to the dry hop. With my summer schedule being so hectic, I also did my flavor additions at 3 minutes left in the boil rather than a hopstand, and dialed back the bittering addition/IBU. Oddly enough, this one came across as a bit too pineapple-y, without a whole lot of hop flavor/IPA character. I feel like the lower IBU might have had something to do with it. Maybe 4oz of Citra in the dry hop was a bit much?

Batch #4: Perfect. Wouldn't change a thing. Only a 20 minute boil and no hopstand. Just a 3oz/3oz Citra/Mosaic addition at the 3 minute mark, plus a 3oz/3oz dry hop of Citra/Mosaic.

This looks delicious, I want to try it. I haven't run across a 20 minute boil yet...why not 60 minutes? How long do you steep the grains? When do you add the late addition fermentables? Thanks!

I recently made a pineapple wheat and I did a puree of pineapple after four days of fermentation. For an IPA, I would want a lot less pineapple flavor and would go with a boil addition

This looks delicious, I want to try it. I haven't run across a 20 minute boil yet...why not 60 minutes? How long do you steep the grains? When do you add the late addition fermentables? Thanks!

When brewing with extract, there's no reason (that I'm aware of) to boil any longer than you need to get your IBU's. I haven't boiled an extract-based beer for more than 30 minutes in probably two years. Granted, you have to use a little bit more hops (maybe .5oz - .75oz) for your initial bittering addition, but you end up saving on propane and time, though.

I steep grains for 20-30 minutes at 150*-165*F in the full volume of water.

My late additions go in at flame-out. For that recipe, at 0m, I cut the heat, dumped in remainder of the DME/sugar, then the pineapple juice. I waited about 5-10 minutes to let the juice pasteurize.

This is all very interesting as I am trying to brew a pineapple IPA myself. I´d like to get some feedback from the method I´m going to use for the pineapple addition. I found 100% organic pineapple juice and thought i might add 1 l (0,26G) to a 19 l (5G) batch. I was thinking to pour it straight from the bottle, not freezing nor boiling it as I´d like to think its pretty clean and bacteria free. Id put it in second fermentor 1 day before bottling as i want to keep the taste of pineapple really fresh.
My concern is that it will unbalance the priming as it has its own sugar (not added). Am I paranoid about it or is it real concern?
I apriciate any tips and help you can give.
Thanks

For my Pineapple Habenaro, I pureed two whole pineapples and added the puree to the last 5 mins of the boil. Then on day 7 when I dry hopped, I added 1 large can of pineapple juice to the fermenter along with my hops. Came out fantastic. Great pineapple aromas and just the right flavors.

This is all very interesting as I am trying to brew a pineapple IPA myself. I´d like to get some feedback from the method I´m going to use for the pineapple addition. I found 100% organic pineapple juice and thought i might add 1 l (0,26G) to a 19 l (5G) batch. I was thinking to pour it straight from the bottle, not freezing nor boiling it as I´d like to think its pretty clean and bacteria free. Id put it in second fermentor 1 day before bottling as i want to keep the taste of pineapple really fresh.
My concern is that it will unbalance the priming as it has its own sugar (not added). Am I paranoid about it or is it real concern?
I apriciate any tips and help you can give.
Thanks

Yes, that would be a real concern. Based on the "Nutritional Facts" label on the pineapple juice I've been using, I came to the conclusion that the entire container of juice had 6+ ounces of sugar in it. If you use a liter of juice, (4-5oz of sugar?) plus added another 4oz of priming sugar, you'd have bottle bombs on your hands, for sure.

If you want to add it to secondary, I'd give it at least 5-7 days to make sure the yeast fermented all the sugar out before bottling.

Thanks! Just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Ill give it a week so Itl settle good and dont haveto worry about the sugars.:mug:

I just finished brewing your Batch #4 tonight. Pretty much followed your recipe - the only thing I changed was the yeast, but not for any good reason. I just like the West Coast Ale yeast and have used it several times so I tend to go with that for my IPAs. Before pitching the yeast, I tasted the wort. I got a malty flavor with some good bitterness, but didn't detect pineapple at all. Maybe that comes through more after fermentation? If not, I may be adding some fresh frozen pineapple cubes to the dry hop...or some pineapple extract. I'm really hoping for a stronger pineapple presence. What are your thoughts, as far as flavor on brew day vs finished beer?
Thanks!

This latest batch is perfect. I wouldn't change anything. The pineapple juice (46oz) really makes the pineapple/tropical fruit flavor of Citra/Mosaic really shine. It's also only a 20 minute boil. Fined with gelatin, I can read a book through the pint glass. Here's my latest recipe:

A few notes about three pineapple IPA's I did before this batch:

Batch #1: Great! Very similar to the recipe posted above, only with a 45 minute hopstand/whirlpool starting at 190*F. Featured Citra/Mosaic hops.

Batch #2: Just "okay". Used 2oz Citra/3 oz Falconer's Flight in the hopstand, and 3oz Citra/2oz Falconer's Flight for the dry hop. This batch didn't have much pineapple flavor (even though the exact same amount of juice was used). In fact, to most folks that tasted it (including myself) wouldn't have guessed it was a pineapple IPA if I hadn't told them ahead of time. In hindsight, I think it was the use of the Falconer's Flight that made it so much different. (to me, F.F. comes across as a nice balance of pine/grapefruit with just the slightest hint of tropical flavors/aroma) Not a bad IPA, but I think a pineapple IPA needs to have nothing but tropical-variety hops.

Batch #3: Just "okay". Opposite problem. I figured #2 just needed a little bit more Citra flavor/aroma to make the pineapple flavor pop, so pretty much copied the previous recipe and added an extra ounce of Citra to the dry hop. With my summer schedule being so hectic, I also did my flavor additions at 3 minutes left in the boil rather than a hopstand, and dialed back the bittering addition/IBU. Oddly enough, this one came across as a bit too pineapple-y, without a whole lot of hop flavor/IPA character. I feel like the lower IBU might have had something to do with it. Maybe 4oz of Citra in the dry hop was a bit much?

Batch #4: Perfect. Wouldn't change a thing. Only a 20 minute boil and no hopstand. Just a 3oz/3oz Citra/Mosaic addition at the 3 minute mark, plus a 3oz/3oz dry hop of Citra/Mosaic.

I just finished brewing your Batch #4 tonight. Pretty much followed your recipe - the only thing I changed was the yeast, but not for any good reason. I just like the West Coast Ale yeast and have used it several times so I tend to go with that for my IPAs. Before pitching the yeast, I tasted the wort. I got a malty flavor with some good bitterness, but didn't detect pineapple at all. Maybe that comes through more after fermentation? If not, I may be adding some fresh frozen pineapple cubes to the dry hop...or some pineapple extract. I'm really hoping for a stronger pineapple presence. What are your thoughts, as far as flavor on brew day vs finished beer?
Thanks!

That's strange, because every one I've brewed definitely had a pineapple flavor & aroma as soon as it's cooled down to pitching temps. Did you use one of those big 46oz cans of 100% juice?

Just had the first bottle of my Pineapple IPA, recipe in this post.

On the nose there is a subtle fruit note. Someone might be able to identify that it is pineapple, otherwise it just smells fruity, could be mistaken for strawberry honestly. Taste-wise, the pineapple is again very subtle. Sort of difficult to distinguish it from citrusy hops. It's also around 8% ABV which may be covering up some of the flavor. Pineapple Scuplin has similar characteristics, although I think mine has even less of a pineapple note.

This bottle was only 2 weeks old. Going to let them go for another 2 weeks and taste again.

But first impression is that it needs more pineapple to be easily distinguishable. As a reminder, I pureed a 6lb 10oz can of pineapple chunks, heated it to 160F to pasteurize, cooled overnight, then added it to my secondary of around 5 gallons. The leftover pineapple fibers sank to the bottom but took up at least a 1/2 gallon. Next time I might use only pineapple extract or a combination of extract and juice.

On the nose there is a subtle fruit note. Someone might be able to identify that it is pineapple, otherwise it just smells fruity, could be mistaken for strawberry honestly. Taste-wise, the pineapple is again very subtle. Sort of difficult to distinguish it from citrusy hops. It's also around 8% ABV which may be covering up some of the flavor. Pineapple Scuplin has similar characteristics, although I think mine has even less of a pineapple note.

This bottle was only 2 weeks old. Going to let them go for another 2 weeks and taste again.

But first impression is that it needs more pineapple to be easily distinguishable. As a reminder, I pureed a 6lb 10oz can of pineapple chunks, heated it to 160F to pasteurize, cooled overnight, then added it to my secondary of around 5 gallons. The leftover pineapple fibers sank to the bottom but took up at least a 1/2 gallon. Next time I might use only pineapple extract or a combination of extract and juice.

I use extracts to enhance the fruit (I've done pineapple and strawberry) I feel the extract is great for aroma.

Questions: Has anyone "grilled" fresh pineapple prior to dry hopping in keg? I was thinking the caramelized flavors may be nice plus the grilling may kill potential bacteria as a side benefit.

Has anyone had issues with fresh pineapple hopped in keg preventing a good head formation?

I use extracts to enhance the fruit (I've done pineapple and strawberry) I feel the extract is great for aroma.

That's probably what I'll do next time.

How much extract do you use?
When do you use it?
Where did you get it?

I just put mine into secondary, but accidentally spilled some on the ground...must say, it smells very pineapple-y. I put around a can of chunked pineapple (And the juice) straight into the fermenter on the third day of fermentation. The can was around the size of two-clenched fists. Sorry, I know that's pathetic, but I lack a better reference point. Not sure how many ounces.

Nonetheless, I let it stay in there for about 4 days. Moved it into secondary early because I was worried that the integrity of the pineapple chunks would start to go away and it would throw pulp throughout the fermenter. Can confirm, after 4 days the pineapple chunks were almost at that point.

Anyways, though, core message here is that my beer definitely had a pineapple smell to it. In fact, I'm a bit worried about how strong it is. Will follow up later on.

I used a recipe in this thread. I'll let yall know later which one it was. It was the "sculptin point" one.

Okay so I'm confused... I'm trying to figure out this Pineapple IPA, but there really seems to be mixed reviews as to when to throw the pineapple in.

1) End of boil
or
2) Secondary (after fermentation)

Will both work out? How much should I throw in to a 5 gal recipe? I plan to just brew a basic citrus ipa (extract brew), fairly heavily hopped with Amarillo, Simcoe and either Citra or Falconer's Flight. I want the Pineapple flavour to be there but not overly dominant.

Thoughts?

I just put mine into secondary, but accidentally spilled some on the ground...must say, it smells very pineapple-y. I put around a can of chunked pineapple (And the juice) straight into the fermenter on the third day of fermentation. The can was around the size of two-clenched fists. Sorry, I know that's pathetic, but I lack a better reference point. Not sure how many ounces.

Nonetheless, I let it stay in there for about 4 days. Moved it into secondary early because I was worried that the integrity of the pineapple chunks would start to go away and it would throw pulp throughout the fermenter. Can confirm, after 4 days the pineapple chunks were almost at that point.

Anyways, though, core message here is that my beer definitely had a pineapple smell to it. In fact, I'm a bit worried about how strong it is. Will follow up later on.

I used a recipe in this thread. I'll let yall know later which one it was. It was the "sculptin point" one.

How did it turn out?

Okay so I'm confused... I'm trying to figure out this Pineapple IPA, but there really seems to be mixed reviews as to when to throw the pineapple in.

1) End of boil
or
2) Secondary (after fermentation)

Will both work out? How much should I throw in to a 5 gal recipe? I plan to just brew a basic citrus ipa (extract brew), fairly heavily hopped with Amarillo, Simcoe and either Citra or Falconer's Flight. I want the Pineapple flavour to be there but not overly dominant.

Thoughts?

I've gotten great pineapple flavor & aroma from a flame-out addition. The advantage is that it gets pasteurized from the near-boiling heat. I've always used a 46oz can of pineapple juice, and the pineapple flavor is a little more pronounced than Sweetwater's "Goin' Coastal". I recommend using tropical-tasting hops like Mosaic, Citra or Azaaca. I didn't like it as much when I've used Amarillo or Falconer's flight.

I've gotten great pineapple flavor & aroma from a flame-out addition. The advantage is that it gets pasteurized from the near-boiling heat. I've always used a 46oz can of pineapple juice, and the pineapple flavor is a little more pronounced than Sweetwater's "Goin' Coastal". I recommend using tropical-tasting hops like Mosaic, Citra or Azaaca. I didn't like it as much when I've used Amarillo or Falconer's flight.

Awesome, maybe that's what I'll try then, that being the flame-out. Might change up the hops too, but I want to just do a bit more research on the intensity of the flavours, as I've used all of these hops before but want to make sure I pick the best to match with the pineapple.

This is my first time experimenting with a fruit addition, so here's hoping!

When I'm making up my recipe and looking at bitterness, I can only assume that the pineapple juice will bring the bitterness down.

Any suggestions here, as my software doesn't account for the pineapple juice.

How did it turn out?

Honestly, a little disappointing. Like if I try to smell the pineapple, I kind of can't… I definitely can't taste it though. I could taste it out of the secondary but no longer. The smell definitely fades with time. I felt like I put a ton of pineapple into the primary. I had an entire can, as I noted earlier, as well as chunks of pineapple, Which more or less work partially absorbed into the beer itself. So, it turned out to be a great IPAA, but in terms of being a pineapple beer, I will say it turned out subpar

As I noted in my post a moment ago, I put my pineapple into the primary after two days. I definitely lack any pineapple taste, and barely have a perception of pineapple smell. So I might have done to little, as you did 46 ounces, but it might've been the fact that I did it during primary and not the flame out

Honestly, a little disappointing. Like if I try to smell the pineapple, I kind of can't… I definitely can't taste it though. I could taste it out of the secondary but no longer. The smell definitely fades with time. I felt like I put a ton of pineapple into the primary. I had an entire can, as I noted earlier, as well as chunks of pineapple, Which more or less work partially absorbed into the beer itself. So, it turned out to be a great IPAA, but in terms of being a pineapple beer, I will say it turned out subpar

From the sound of it, I put it much more pineapple than you did and got similar result.

I'm trying mine again now after in the bottle for 4 weeks. The pineapple flavor is still very subtle and even seems to be fading with time. I'm using pineapple extract next time.

In my opinion, the pineapple is supposed to be subtle and not in your face. You are not brewing a Shandy. I've tried a couple of commercial beers with pineapple, Jekyll's Pineapple Habanero and Sweetwater's Going Coastal. In both those beers the pineapple is subtle. In my own Pineapple Habanero, the pineable is a subtle flavor. It is very present in the aroma of the beer, but you aren't tasting a pineapple juice with a subtle flavor of beer.

In my opinion, the pineapple is supposed to be subtle and not in your face. You are not brewing a Shandy. I've tried a couple of commercial beers with pineapple, Jekyll's Pineapple Habanero and Sweetwater's Going Coastal. In both those beers the pineapple is subtle. In my own Pineapple Habanero, the pineable is a subtle flavor. It is very present in the aroma of the beer, but you aren't tasting a pineapple juice with a subtle flavor of beer.

I would agree here. What i'm shooting for with mine is simply for the Pineapple juice to compliment the hops and possible enhance them ever so slightly.

We'll see how it turns out, currently fermenting, stay tuned.

Back