Need orang wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Wurtz

Reaction score
Hey guys im in need of a orange recipe for a 5 gal batch. Thinking of using cloves an cinnamon for spices. Anything would be helpful. Thanks

Oranges can be very acidic. This is one wine where less may be more and finding ways to cut the OJ with water or apple juice or ??? may make for a better wine.

I know this is a year old post bit maybe you are still looking?

I made a batch of Orange/Tangerine around the time you posted this last year. Bottled it (FINALLY) and here’s what I got; a medium dry, light body orange flavor with a faint note of cedar and mint. I really don’t onow where those flavors came from but it tastes better than it sounds. It’s roughly 10.5%ABV. Here’s the recipe... laugh all you want but I’ve made over 80 gallons of wine in the last year; 10 gallon is all i have lost and it was fresh watermelon wine... I just can’t seem to get watermelon to work.

So, I used (again, laugh all you want)
*Juicy Juice Orange Tangerine. Bought online ar Walmart so it shipped right to my door. Bought enough for 5.5 gallons.
*Poured into 7gal primary.
*Added 1 tsp acid blend. Brought ph to 3.5.
*Added 1/2 tsp wine tannin. (Should have done 1/4 per gallon and will on this next batch.)
*Added 8 cups sugar for 1.080 SG. (Should have been 10-11 cups to get SG to 1.100)
*Added 5.5 crushed Campden tablets.
*24 hours rest
*Added yeast nutrient at ‘light body’ rate. (Should have halved it for full body.)
*Pitched yeast. Used Red Star Premier Cote des Blancs. (Might use Lalvin 71b-1122 and split a batch with D-47 and blend after primary on the next batch. This will make for a better wine.)
*9 days later, racked to secondary (when I rack to secondary, depending on the end goal, I allow some of the settling from primary into the secondary.)
*15 days later, racked and added 4 cups sugar. This fermented a bit and left some sweetness.
*30 days later it is still quite cloudy and tastes like an orange fizzy (alcohol) drink I have had at some point.
*30 days later, still cloudy and taste is mellowing out. Added Bentonite to clear.
*once cleared, racked it and added campden.
*The only thing I did between the precious rack and the final rack was check the airlock regularly and added campden as needed. I did not document addition of campden so Idk if I had to add any or not.
*On 3/1/19 I racked and bottled 20-25 bottles (bottled 100 bottles that day of various wines.)
*3/7/19 (today) I opened and tried my first taste. As I said in the beginning, it’s a medium dry, light body orange flavor with a note of cedar and mint. It’s a faint note and less cedar than mint. Mouth feel is lighter than I’d like and it’s a bit sweeter than I prefer. The smell is definitely orange with a hint of mint... a faint hint.

It turned out a very clear, almost white (bentonite zapped the color) with a hint of an orange hue. Hard to tell it from my other white whines.

On this go around I intend to use a blend of several orange juices and see what happens.

Back