Need non-standard Keg lid release valve, have pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olive Drab

Reaction score
I purchased a few old corny style kegs from a beer distributor and the lids do not accept the standard corny keg pressure release. The corny is too long because the underside of the relief valve is flush with the lid and is not domed, like a corny lid. I looked at keg connection, more beer, northern brewer, midwest and Williams brewing with no luck finding the right part which appears to be 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the corny release. Below is a pic of the keg lid. Does anyone know where to get the right sized pressure relief valve?

IMG_6614.jpg

IMG_6615.jpg

What did the original valve look like? I cut a section from another page, perhaps it will help you match up what you need. I'm thinking Type D.

PR Valves.JPG

Keep in mind you can get a replacement lid with valve for $13.25 + shipping here: Universal Lid

D was the closest looking one. Where is that pic from? They probably have the part.

This vid?
That's the one.

May I make the following recommendations. These are things they didn't do in the video.

1. If you have access to one, use a drill press.

2. Use a cobalt drill bit.

3. Use a cutting oil, even veggie oil will do and it is a food product.

4. Clamp that lid down while drilling. Metal pieces often have the habit of grabbing and spinning once the drill bit punches through.

Back